• 7 to 8 years

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 9 to 10 years

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • More than 10 years

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

49thdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't know what the 'industry standard' is, if there is such a thing. Personally I would only replace mine if they showed signs of wear and tear

I've just switched to MiFlex hoses, so my LPs are all new, but I'm pretty sure I've dived with 10+ year old hoses on rental gear

The failure you described seems pretty rare, and possibly due to a manufacturing defect rather than age. People have had brand new/near new hoses fail too

Guess after reading your story: Your hose failure was not age related.

Assuming that guess is correct, replacing them early might only increase your chances of having such a failure. (More hoses used= More chances of seeing that kind of failure)

For what it is worth, I have never seen a hose fail like that ever either. Now I want to cut open some old hoses to see if they are constructed the same.

I have seen lots of hoses fail the other way: bubbles in the rubber or bubbling along the length. None cause any sudden failure.

I just inspect the hoses fairly often...3 or 4 times a year, watching for hose stiffness, cracks, splits or leaks. Really, these are things you should notice without a formal inspection. High pressure hoses, both air and hydraulic, are very old and common technology and very stable. I suspect infant mortality (something that fails early in life for some reason) is higher than failure due to age. With the exception of a new Miflex hose I just had to try I don't think I have any hoses less then 5 or 6 years old and all are still going strong. Now abuse is a different story but I am guessing you are not lifting your BC/Tank/reg by the hoses. Inspect often, change when it becomes suspect and keep a couple hose or 2 around as spares (you do keep the ones you replaced "just to be safe" didn't you?).

Guess after reading your story: Your hose failure was not age related.

Assuming that guess is correct, replacing them early might only increase your chances of having such a failure. (More hoses used= More chances of seeing that kind of failure)

For what it is worth, I have never seen a hose fail like that ever either. Now I want to cut open some old hoses to see if they are constructed the same.

I have seen lots of hoses fail the other way: bubbles in the rubber or bubbling along the length. None cause any sudden failure.

I would tend to agree that changing hoses may not lower the risk. A 5 or 10 year old hose that show no apparent defects is a known quantity whereas a new hose is unknown. I have 30 year old hoses still in use
As an example I once tuned up my motorcycle for a planned trip by replacing the ignition points and condenser with new ones. Fifty miles into the trip the new condenser failed, luckily I had put the old well used one in my tool bag.

Last edited:
I suspect infant mortality (something that fails early in life for some reason) is higher than failure due to age.

I have been diving for 3 yrs now and the only hose failures have been exactly that - fairly soon with new ones. If there isn't obvious signs of wear and tear, and one does bubble checks prior to every dive, I am not going to increase the risk by starting swapping cycles.

I always inspect all my hoses every year, before the scuba season begins in springtime.

If I see cracking or wear, I will replace one. They only cost about $20 each anyway. Not a lot.

I have seen other people's LP hoses mushroom at their bases. I have never seen one blow up though.

I do not believe you can say "every X or Y years." But surely none of them is going to last more than 10 years, whether kept in the dark safely in a drawer or cabinet, or in full use all the time. Sunlight and oxygen in the atmosphere are what cause hoses to crack and stiffen.

And I sure would not want to go diving with a 30 year old hose!!!:)

I cut open some hoses.

What it looks like to me is that your hose was not sufficiently crimped.

It took a lot of work to remove the hose from the barb in the ones I cut up. In the end only completely destroying the crimping piece made it possible to remove the hose from the barb.

If you were able to separate the hose, the barb, and the crimped bit, on your failed hose, then the wrong size hose, or the wrong size barb and crimped piece, or the wrong setting on the hydraulic press was used. Your failure was not due to age. It was due to improper manufacture.

I cut open some hoses.

What it looks like to me is that your hose was not sufficiently crimped.

It took a lot of work to remove the hose from the barb in the ones I cut up. In the end only completely destroying the crimping piece made it possible to remove the hose from the barb.

If you were able to separate the hose, the barb, and the crimped bit, on your failed hose, then the wrong size hose, or the wrong size barb and crimped piece, or the wrong setting on the hydraulic press was used. Your failure was not due to age. It was due to improper manufacture.

Beanojones, you have certainly gone the distance for us here, I thank you.
This is a very sobering thought. "Your failure was not due to age. It was due to improper manufacture."

This confirms that my decision to always dive with a pony from now on, is my best insurance.

Thanks Again !

Peter

P.S. For those of you interested in stats I have posted a survey here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...244-how-often-should-we-replace-lp-hoses.html
Please add your vote, so we can at least determine what's going on out there.

Investigating this incident, I have been advised that replacing your low pressures hoses every 3-4 years is "cheap insurance".

Ok thats certainly true, but I am curious what the industry recommendations are and what you folks think. How many of you are diving with hoses more than 4 years old ?

I replace hoses when they're damaged or show wear or leak.

Changing hoses for no reason isn't "cheap insurance" because

1. Hoses aren't cheap
  2. There's no particular reason to beleive that a new hose is defect free or that the one you just threw out was bad.
In fact, just to play "devil's advocate" if you change your hoses often enough, you're guaranteed to get a bad one eventually.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom