How prestigious is the PADI divemaster rating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I haven't but that avatar picture really bugs me.

I'm on my way to watch some now!

Avatar is a bug and is meant to bug :p

Watch the videos and maybe being the best you can be will give you a good direction. I am happy I get to train with his group :)

At least randy has his bug in his avatar. String used to have it crawl all over his posts.

Agreed that the 5thD-X videos show diving technique refined beyond what is either required or envisioned for most PADI DMs. I felt as though my DM class was really a non-event after my other training.

Agreed that the 5thD-X videos show diving technique refined beyond what is either required or envisioned for most PADI DMs. I felt as though my DM class was really a non-event after my other training.

I actually felt the same way and I am not done with either. I am more stressed (in a good way) in the UTD essentials than my DM course.

Just so everyone knows the origin of this thread and why the question was asked:

I suspect that this thread did not produce the tree slamming that Trace was hoping for. I really don't think he wanted Vince's head slammed--he wanted PADI's. It was part of one of his threads about how modern instruction really sucks because it is not the way it was when he first learned:

I believe he expected the usual suspects to jump in on this new thread and echo that belief.

Wow, John! You really don't have any faith in me.

I didn't want anyone's head slammed - Vince's nor PADI's. You mean agency topics haven't been done so often that the opinions wouldn't be somewhat predictable?

Vince now knows a lot more about who the major agencies are in the diving industry and has received several opinions about the "prestige" of a divemaster (PADI or otherwise). He may gain some insight into the qualities veteran divers admire and why some people may not be impressed by his PADI Open Water C-card nor my PSAI Training Director C-card. Who knows what he'll learn before the thread dies?

I don't run anyone into a tree or make them do any, "Wax on. Wax off," stuff without education and growth in mind. I have to admire a kid with 4 pool dives as an OW student who can give a 30 year veteran training director with 1,000's of dives his opinion about swimming related to diving as gospel. That kind of cockiness deserves to be turned into talent.

Vince, too funny! You're alright.

However, as I continue to dive, is PADI really that prestigious compared to other certification groups? In other aspects of life, popular doesn't always translate to best.

Since I became a PADI DM, I no longer have to wait for tables at popular restaurants, if I get pulled over by a cop I simply hand him my DM card 'by mistake' and I get off with a warning, court side Spurs tickets magically appear, the only problem is the annoying paparazzi. :wink:

Seriously, it's just like what BDSD said, it's all about how much work and commitment you put in. I suppose, since there's more PADI resorts, if you're looking to work as an instructor at a resort, there could be an advantage to being a PADI instructor, but since DM 'work' is often volunteer, I don't think it matters much.

Since I became a PADI DM, I no longer have to wait for tables at popular restaurants, if I get pulled over by a cop I simply hand him my DM card 'by mistake' and I get off with a warning, court side Spurs tickets magically appear, the only problem is the annoying paparazzi. :wink:

Where can I sign up for the DM course! :rofl3:

The people that are going to be impressed by a DM rating are the same folks who will be blown away by this:

030487_big2.jpg

Just buy a bunch and hang them all over your BC.

The results will be the same and you will have saved hundreds of dollars.

I haven't read all this thread, but on the original question my answer would be "much more so than is warranted". IMO it is far too easy to become a PADI DM or Instructor, so the vast bulk of newbies to those ranks are inexperienced and it shows. These days there are so many unemployed instructors that in itself a DM card is virtually valueless when it comes to seeking employment, and I believe these two comments are linked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom