How safe to visit Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenhut

Registered
Reaction score
My family was planning a dive trip this year. Me, my wife, and 10yo daughter are divers and we have a 5yo snorkeller. Roatan and Utila grabbed our interest. We looked into BIBR and Coco - both look great, and now have been looking at Utila.

I am wondering how advisable it would be to book a trip at this time? With the political situation in Hunduras, there has been violence at the airport and reports of roadblocks on Roatan. Has anyone experienced this in recent trips? I think just yesterday the US also cut all aid to Honduras further escalating the situation. It must be rough on the local tourism industry?

From the pictures and stories, this sounds like paradise to us. We have been to cozumel a few times and like it, but the seclusion of the Bay islands sounds amazing.

I traveled by road yesterday from La Ceiba to San Pedro Sula and flew out of San Pedro Sula this am, not one protest, disturbance or problem. I live on Utila and right now everyone who is visiting is having a great time as it's quieter than normal and getting even better service from the dive operators.

The Bay Islands are perfectly fine.

If you do a :search: here on ScubaBoard, you will find a few threads relating to the "Coup" that took place a few months ago.

If you read through them long enough, you'll see certain posters screaming, "The Sky is Falling!". And then, you'll see more reasoned advice reminding all that ~ what little had occurred, occurred on the mainland.

The sky has not fallen, much to the chagrin of the doomsayers. Life goes on.

Little negative has happened on the mainland since some 65 days ago.

Nothing has happened on the Bay Islands. Period.

Tourism Numbers Down?

There has been a considerable downturn in tourist traffic worldwide and universally. The Caribbean, Cruise Ships, and Roatan is no exception. A huge volume of Roatan's visitors come from Spain and Italy. Since these customers are usually served by remote West End resorts, most of us North Americans rarely see them.

This down turn, from Europe as well as North America, is largely a function of the world economy. North American visitors noted the Coup and returned in anticipated numbers. The Europeans, however, have not- for the way the political situation was covered there, and certainly the tightening economy. The two weekly charters direct from Europe were cancelled.

Staying on Roatan

"BIBR and Coco", and I assume that means CoCoView.

BIBR will accommodate you in the same building as they place all guests. The snorkeling, certainly for kids, will have to be done off of a boat. Of the two resorts, BIBR is much closer to other topside diversions that might entertain the kids.

At CCV, with kids, you'll stay in one of the nearby Playa Miguel Beach Houses (do a search here for that well discussed topic). Your kids will likely find the snorkeling there to be much more inviting as it is very accessible. It is on it's own private 10 acre islet.

The diving between BIBR and CCV are very much different- again do a search here. then, Utila is again different than the two Roatan dive areas served by those two disparate choices.

For any number of reasons, avoid transit through the mainland- fly directly into Roatan (RTB) from various stateside airports. Again, an easy :search: on ScubaBoard will give you lots of info on available air connections.

Paradise? Yes, it is what it seems. Just spend some time reading previous threads- learn about sand fleas and Salva Vida.

Stories of violence were greatly over-hyped, as Andy says, now is the best time to visit if excellent customer service is what you want. Terribly sensationalist reporting over recent months mean we have fewer 20% of the customers we can usually accommodate.

HTH

Will

I just returned from spending a month in Utila. I traveled through San Pedro Sula and La Ceiba. Travel was easy with nothing unusual or dangerous. The actual Bay Islands themselves are as far removed from the mainland as you can get.... There is absolutely NOTHING to worry about except maybe how much sunscreen to use and where are you gonna dive today. Part of my trip was spent with Laguna Beach Resort.....they have snorkeling/shore diving and a pool. The best thing is when I was there I was one of only 3 people at the resort due to a combination of off season and CNN sensationalizing news that doesn't exist. Also the price to stay are somewhat lower if you call or write them and ask if any "specials" apply.... The diving is first class, expertly guided but your allowed your own profile. Again I was there a month staying on the island, then the resort, then the cays.....no worrys the people are the best you could ask for... The weather was perfect... The diving was heaven...
I too almost didn't go....when I arrived I seen a much different situation than what was in the news and I'm very glad I went.... (life changing) I would have no problems packing right now and taking my 12/11/6 year olds to Laguna Beach and right now you are liable to have the entire resort to yourselves..
So....my advice... Fly through Roatan to lessen the chance of losing your luggage and then fly or ferry to Utila for a less tourist heavy environment or just stay on Roatan. Laguna beach has their own plane and can pick you up in roatan or San Pedro sula BTW.... so GO GO GO!!!!!!

If you stay at Laguna... Tell them rob sent you and say hello to mike, captain Wagner and captain Carey

Hi There,

I am one of the U.S. Embassy Wardens on Utila and I can assure you it is quite safe to travel to the Bay Islands. The current Embassy warnings are simply a political ploy and you will find that most of the media is sensationalism!

I agree with the other members that it is easier coming through Roatan BUT San Pedro and La Ceiba are all very safe to fly through. You will probably find that it is cheaper to fly through the mainland than direct to Roatan.

Caution, if you are considering Taca PLEASE, remember that no U.S. airline has a baggage transfer arrangements with Taca and IF something were to happen to your luggage it can be a real mess. When flying Taca with another airline ALWAYS collect your bags at the airport where you are connecting with Taca and re-check directly with Taca!

The others are also right that this is a GREAT time to come down as it is very slow and you can get great deals on everything from housing to dive packages. Whether you are looking for a home on the beach, a dive resort or just a place in the heart of town everyone is anxious to accommodate you.

By comparison, Roatan is much larger and, in general it will be more expensive than Utila. If you were to stay in an area like West-End (which is just one community) it is about the size of Utila town in total!

One recommendation your received was Laguna Beach on Utila and it is a wonderful place. It is also on the "South Shore" which means you can only get to town by boat.

If I can help with any additional details please do not hesitate!

Based on information I have been able to find, here and other news sources, but mostly on scuba board from Roatanman, RobertCrocket and others, I have decided to go to AKR in December. I paid in full for my trip today! I am ready to go today but will be forced to wait......unless I win the lottery then I will be making the trip sooner!

Wow - thanks for all of the great comments. Perhaps you guys might be able to guide us some more on where might fit us best. Again, three divers - me, my wife, and 10yo daughter, plus my 5yo daughter. We love to dive - we will probably want to do 3 dives a day, and sometimes four. Because of the 5yo, somewhere she can tag along, entertain the captain :dance: , and do some snorkeling. We are spoiled americans :( AC and hot water are important. We love boat diving, but the thought of having a great reef off the resort is very compelling too. Night life is not important to us, we like good food and even the kids will eat diverse flavors.

Is it always relatively expensive to fly to Roatan? We are in the Atlanta area (which has a direct flight), but it is running over $800 round trip per person! Our last trip to Cozumel for 4 was $2500 including airfare and the all inclusive resort (inc drinks but not diving). Diving cost us about $30/dive on Cozumel. Given the small kids, volume of luggage, and possible security concerns, I think direct to Roatan is important for us...

We are considering a 2 week trip, so a resort with more diving diversity might be a positive for us, but this is hard to weigh over the convenience of a nice close reef....

thanks for any further thoughts and suggestions!

jeff

Some friends of mine are taking their 8 & 15 yr olds to Fantasy Island in Dec. you might want to consider it they were able to snag a buy one get one free for that time frame and that would at least off set your airfare...Fantasy Island Dive Resort - Roatan Bay Islands Honduras - Home this resort is across the channel from CoCoView so you would be able to take in shore diving as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom