How safe to visit Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because of the 5yo, somewhere she can tag along, entertain the captain :dance: , and do some snorkeling.

You really need to make sure you have arrangements to pay for a babysitter even if she comes with you on the boat. You certainly would not want to put the resort, captain or other guests into an odd position of doing what is right versus watching your kid just so the paying "spoiled americans"( your words) don't leave. Also, there is agency, PADI/NAUI/SSI etc that would allow for any of their members to supervise a 5 year old snorkeling which could pose a problem as well. I have seen more than one family in similar situations simply pay for one extra person, a babysitter/nanny they know and trust from home so there is not any problems.

If you decide on Utila instead of Roatan...Laguna Beach is exactly what your looking for. A very spacious resort. each cabana has its on little dock onto the lagoon in back and the face the ocean. Nice whaleshark shaped pool with plenty of chairs to soak up the sun and extra towels at the pool. beach is raked daily. 3 dives a day ...2 in the morning and one after lunch..unlimited shore dives...you can enter via the beach or they can take an extra tank and do a drop off on the way back in. Valet service on the boats...they pack your tanks...change your gear for you between dives. Very nice and secure equip storage...immaculate fill station...3 meals a day but if your ever still hungry just ask in the kitchen and they will whip something right up., seperated from Utila by a lagoon which means its quiet and very secure. There is a bar in the main lodge and wifi. If the bartender isnt present..grab a beer or mix a cocktail and write it down...they operate on the honor system...if you do decide to go into town they will take you across the lagoon when you desire. There is also unlimited horseback riding ( they will taxi you to the stable but you pay for the taxi (5.00USD) then after riding the taxi will be waiting to return you. I cannot brag enough about Capt Wagner, and DM/Instructer Mike ( Laguna only uses instructers as DMs) They are fun to be around, good natured and they know where to go and how to find the life. They have a minimum of an hour surface interval and spend that time cruising for whaleshark and they are a wealth of information about all things Utila. Also if you like fishing.. Carey Bush, who I am proud to call my friend is the capt of their fishing charters and one hell of a guy who knows his business and has one of the greatest personalities ive ever seen. The resort uses 3 newton dives boats that are in tip top shape, super roomy, fast and make getting in and out a breeze. Personally i love the place...when i went to Utila I decided that I couldnt give a realistic report of the situation unless i stayed abit of everywhere...so during my month there, i stayed in town...then Laguna and then on a private Cay but Laguna impressed me with their service and great atitude and willingness to do anything to please...combined with nice rooms with great remote controlled AC and hot showers. Tell the gang hi from Rob if you decide to go down and be careful or Carey's mother will fatten you up with her jedi like baking skills!

10 yr olds can dive now?

I love CCV and have been there multiple times. It's not really a place for kids. They may allow them in the beach houses, but the resort, while not wild, is not really oriented for young ones, and even teenagers seem to grown bored when not underwater.

Yes 10 years is now the limit for a Jr open water cert with virtually all major agencies. With most agencies, Jr open water requires same training, skills, etc but limits the max depth to 40 or 60 ft and requires a guardian or DM present.

To RTBDiver - Kids and families are different. No doubt that some families make others suffer as a result of their kids. On our last trip in Cozumel, every diver, boat captain and DM found our 5yo a joy to have on the boat - the captain even asked that she come along later in the week. It all really depends on the child and parents. As long as the boat isn't full, and staff is supportive, and the child is well behaved, I see no reason another diver should object to a child coming along. I really don't see it as any different than a combined scuba/snorkeling trip. It is not uncommon for diveops to bring snorkelers on the same boat as a scuba trip to snorkel at the dive site or during the SI. An adult has as much or more capacity to interfere with the enjoyment of others as a kid.

jeff

Greenhut, I think you may have missed the point of RTBDiver's post, and granted using the words 'spoiled americans' can do that, but the issue he brings up isn't entertainment or disruption, or even weather a child/adult is pleasant to be around or not, it's distraction.

Boat Captains have an incredible responsibility for the safety of all their passengers, the status of their boat while at sea, and changing weather conditions that could prompt a recall. I believe his point was that the very nature of a child's enthusiam & questions, can be distracting & cause the Captain to possibly miss something inportant to his/her main priorities.

I know of a dive boat that sank, while divers were in the water, because the Captain got off the boat (at the mooring) to snorkel with a passanger. In the meantime the through hull fitting busted, the boat took on water. When they looked back the boat was gone & the mooring ball was being pulled under. No, that's not the norm, but it shows what 'can' happen with just a few minutes of inattention. The Ocean can be very unforgiving.

I think his point was to check with the resort if you're not bringing a caretaker with you or won't have a non-diver staying on the boat with such a young child. They usually have a staff member with a day off willing to make a few extra bucks that would help keep the child entertained, and leave the Captain to monitor his responsibilities, rather than try to split their attention.

Could be wrong, but I've seen what can happen too often when a Captain is distracted, even for a few minutes.

My family was planning a dive trip this year. Me, my wife, and 10yo daughter are divers and we have a 5yo snorkeller. Roatan and Utila grabbed our interest. We looked into BIBR and Coco - both look great, and now have been looking at Utila.

I am wondering how advisable it would be to book a trip at this time? With the political situation in Hunduras, there has been violence at the airport and reports of roadblocks on Roatan. Has anyone experienced this in recent trips? I think just yesterday the US also cut all aid to Honduras further escalating the situation. It must be rough on the local tourism industry?

From the pictures and stories, this sounds like paradise to us. We have been to cozumel a few times and like it, but the seclusion of the Bay islands sounds amazing.
Went to Roatan for a week at the end of August. Only sign of a "coup", if you can even call it a coup, was an extra soldier on the roof of the Roatan airport.

We stayed for a week, bought a bar and are moving down there September 30th.....can't be all that bad :wink:

Went to Roatan for a week at the end of August. Only sign of a "coup", if you can even call it a coup, was an extra soldier on the roof of the Roatan airport.

We stayed for a week, bought a bar and are moving down there September 30th.....can't be all that bad :wink:

GREAT, going there in December, where is the bar? Maybe I'll come in and patronize it!

West End. We will be closing the bar until mid-December while we renovate/remodel. It's one of the two bar/restaurants over the water....and it's not Eagle Ray's :wink: Will keep you posted as things progress.

Sounds good to me. I will be there the day after Christmas until the 2nd. May New Years? Good luck with your venture. I am envious!

... was an extra soldier on the roof of the Roatan airport.

I don't think that was an extra one, he just happened to be awake and standing when you came by. :eyebrow:

Change is good. Keep us posted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom