how tight to make mask ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dive guide, I found that shaving is a must not only for appearance but your stubble can actually wear out the edges of the mask skirt causing minor leakage. For those divers with a stash,I find pulling the mask down on your lip and positioning the strap higher on your head helps. Unfortunately(?) smiling & laughing seems to break the watertight seal no matter what mask tricks you may use.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

As a dive guide, I found that shaving is a must not only for appearance but your stubble can actually wear out the edges of the mask skirt causing minor leakage. For those divers with a stash,I find pulling the mask down on your lip and positioning the strap higher on your head helps. Unfortunately(?) smiling & laughing seems to break the watertight seal no matter what mask tricks you may use.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

How true. I still remember my instructor saying during mask clearing training: "Just smile big and let a little water in. Then clear the mask."

I have given up on having a dive with a dry mask. I ignore the water in my mask until it is an issue then I clear it. not a big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom