how tight to make mask ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigrich954rr

Registered
Reaction score
i have a atomic mask but when i use a snorkel it seems to let in a little water which gets in my nose.

Im i some how using it wrong or just needs to be tighter?

It could be that the mask just doesn't fit your face well enough.

It should take very little pressure to fit properly. If you can hold it against your face, inhale through your nose and the mask won't fall off then its a good fit.

Tightening a mask too tight can cause it to leak too. Also, make sure your don't have any hair getting under the seal.

The mask should not feel tight but not too loose. If you get major mask lines after a dive chances are it's too tight, if you get water leaking in after your perform your entry, chances are it's too loose.

Mask fit is also important. fire_diver has already covered the basics for fitting a mask.

The position of your snorkel will also have something to do with it.
I find the snorkel clips like to pry your mask straps away from your head when you use them, especially if you connect them buttup to where the mask strap attaches to the lens.
Either try a snorkel keeper or position your snorkel so the attachment point is above your ear or even farther back behind your head. The point of positioning your snorkel differently is to allow you to keep the entire snorkel straight-ish (not too bent) when you put it in your mouth.
When you use your snorkel you don't want to strain it so that it pulls your mask strap and mask away from it's neutral position (breaking your good watertight seal on your face).

the mask should be snug not tight if it's leaving a ring or marks on your face it's too tight. It shouyld feel very comfortable but yet feel secure. Also not sure if your Male/Female but if your male make sure you shave as if you have stubble or stash it can and most likely will cause leakeage

yea male here. i think you guys hit the nail on the head with stubble. I totally forgot about that. If i had to guess it was leaking right about where my facial hair just about stops growning.
Im lucky where right after i shave it looks like i need to shave again.

Thank you guys. will try over the weekend with a fresh shave

You might consider stowing the snorkel in a BCD pocket until you need it. I find that my mask leaks more when the snorkel is on it than it does without the snorkel.

My advice is that if you don't need the snorkel on your next dive to try a dive without it and see if that makes a big difference.

R..

An over-tight mask is a common reason for leaking. The more it leaks, the tighter it gets adjusted...making the problem worse.

The mask strap should be sufficiently tight to hold the mask against the face without it slipping. That is all. Once submerged, water pressure will ensure the mask creates a seal against the face.

Some masks won't fit some faces. It's worth trying a few different masks, to ensure that this isn't the case with your current mask. Also, facial hair, or deep skin creases around the eyes or mouth can cause leaks.

If your mask is leaking underwater... have your buddy examine it. They will see where air bubbles are escaping from, which will indicate where the leak is.

bigrich954rr I just noticed your from San Diego, are you guys wearing hoods down there?
If you are make sure your mask skirt is tucked under the hood and that your hair is out from under the skirt as well. You can trim most hoods if you don't want to bother with tucking.

I'm not sure that it's a beard stubble issue. I wear an Atomic mask and frequently don't shave before diving so I can avoid saltwater/razor burn issues. When diving on vacation, I usually shave only at night and tend to skip a day or two.

Just sayin'. YMMV. All of the above advice is spot on. If it turns out that the problem was a beard stubble issue, that's cool by me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom