how tight to make mask ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G1138: I dive in a drysuit with a hood. The problem with tucking is that, if you have a mask problem ( flooding or whatever ) it is very difficult to get your mask on again . Very tough to tuck it all around while clearing your mask etc. I trimmed my hood so that there is no hood close to my mask skirt. My face is not any colder . Solves the problem of tucking and any potential problems underwater. Works much better. When I first started diving ( not that long ago ) I used to tuck my mask under my hood on shore and then go in. My mask used to fog quite a bit due to the heat from my face when the mask hits the cold water. Now, mask around my neck as I go in ( except for boat dives where entry is quick ), easy to put on my mask in the water, good if your buddy or anybody is having any surface issues and takes some time to get adjusted.

A lot of my diving is inland lakes. I think for entry in heavy surf, my mask would be on pretty quick for obvious reasons. Either way, trimming works much better for me than tucking, and I think , safer too.

I dive in 54F waters average. I don't really have a problem with tucking, it's easy enough for me. But I will say that my hood leaks water right at my temples. It's not a real issue for me, I'm just too lazy to trim it.
If my mask comes off underwater, I'll just take the time to tuck it in before clearing my mask, it only takes me 2 seconds.
It's not ideal, but I don't see a huge safety risk with it.

I haven't had any problems with fogging, usually I just spit-rub-rinse before entering and the mask is good until I take it off above water. If you have a hot face, a neat little trick to help is to rub some cold water on your face before putting your mask on.

I'm on my third mask and have dove with six different masks before I found the one that worked for me.

But my question is, when I'm inverted (head down, feet up hovering) mask leaks really bad. Why?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a purge valve in the mask?

FWIW when I mentioned trimming the face seal I do it to retain an overlap of the mask skirt for full coverage. What I have needed to avoid is overlap that covers the skirt and pushed on the actual mask.

I think a lot of folks really over think the mask. I've dived with the Pro-mates and Atomics. Adjusted properly they all work. Maybe I have a universal face. IDK.

I think a lot of folks really over think the mask. I've dived with the Pro-mates and Atomics. Adjusted properly they all work. Maybe I have a universal face. IDK.

Yes, you are fortunate.

I dont have a hooded suit yet so its been free of hitting anything. Ive been busy this weekend so i havent gotten to play with the mask again i just redid my anti fog on the mask.

Thinking i might just jump in my apt pool and play around with it

There no purge valve in the mask. But as some one else has said the snorkel might be causing it to leak. i dont think i had any leaks before i was using the snorkel. i just need some more time in the water with it.

But the area with the light hair also has a crease line in the skin, close to area of leaking i think dam this getting older

My mask has always leaked a bit, that is, until my last dive trip a couple of weeks ago.
I intentionally did not tighten my mask strap as much as previously and I had significantly less leakage.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I agree with some of the other posters. If I don't shave the stubble will cause my mask to leak. Maybe the masks that I own are a marginal fit and that is all it takes to make them leak. I have tried a lot of different masks with the same results. If I shave I always get a good seal. They don't leak bad, just enough to be annoying.

LOL I shave once a week :) My mask does leak a little bit, but nothing big. As others have said a little water isn't bad. It is very useful for wiping away any fog that may have occurred (sometimes defog isn't perfect).

I see others saying water pressure will push the mask on your face - true, but don't forget to equalize your mask too, you don't want mask squeeze :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom