How to be an underwater model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger J Munns

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Tips and tricks learnt by an underwater model on a two week shoot in the Maldives. Check out the article and more photos in The Underwater Kingdom blog

MAL300310J0026.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting article -- thank you for posting it!

There is a lot more to being a good underwater model that just being there. There are some good points made in the article, although most of the photographers I've modeled for don't like wild hair, and prefer I use a hood. They also don't like bubbles, which makes judicious buoyancy control a must.

One of the very few books on underwater modeling is "The complete guide to underwater modeling" by Tom Mount. You can find it new and used on the book web sites.

You get to see just how good looking and what a good diver Patty was and still is from back in the day.

Tom, is just like Keith Richards, he has always looks that way.

I've come to the conclusion no one looks sexy / cool with a regulator in their mouth.

I've come to the conclusion no one looks sexy / cool with a regulator in their mouth.

Maybe this will change your mind? :wink:

DSC_1685.JPG

Last edited:
A professional photographer once told me that he found it easier to teach a model to dive than to teach a diver to model, so there is certainly some skill involved. These pictures tend to confirm my suspicion, though, that the most difficult skill to master is looking good in a bikini, followed by the somewhat less imposing task of looking good in a wetsuit, both of which the model managed quite nicely. Of course, like any difficult skill, breaking it down into smaller pieces makes it more manageable. In this case, for example, the aspiring model might opt first to be tall, then thin, then have shapely legs and derriere, followed by an appealing visage. That way you don't have to tackle the task all at once. :D

Maybe this will change your mind? :wink:
Actually, no, it didn't. Please don't interpret that as a slight upon your model, who would probably look lovely if she were posed to look comfortable, if she didn't have water in her fogged mask and red eyes, if the backscatter was edited out, etc. (By the way, if you size your photos to be less than ~700 pixels wide they will be more easily viewed in most browser windows without scrolling.)

Spoiler tag added to keep readability of the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom