How to buy new tank/ diving with multiple tank sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cal_al

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

In reading a lot of threads about buying a new tank, how do you determine what size to buy? Gas usage determines a lot but some of you have said that you went with x because y was too big/tall/heavy/caused you to turtle/etc. Did you try a friends or at the lds? I ask this because it seems to take time to trim out in a new tank so it seems hard to make a quick decision on whether I'll need this tank or that one.

Also, do any of you dive with multiple tank sizes (80's/lp/hp/72's)? If so, did you just spend time figuring out how to trim out various dives or do most people just try to stick to one type of tank?

Thanks for any and all your advice.

I dive with rental 80's mostly, especially if doing multiple dives to save from changing out weights in trim pockets on bc. I own a steel '72 that I use for single dives locally or as an extra in case I want/need to make another dive.

I also have used lp95's for dives where additional gas was required for plan. When I try a different size tank I always do one or two buoyancy/trim dives to iron out any issues before heading out with the purpose of 'just diving'.

I own an AL80 that I dive with and if I plan on doing multi tank dives I rent an AL80. My dive buddy has a LP108 so that me and him end the dive with about the same air remaining. So if you breath more than your buddy you might want to get a bigger tank so that you will both need to come up at the same time so somebody does not get cut short.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I have a bp/w along with an lp108 and a 72. These two tanks trim out quite differently so I was just curious what others do for multiple dives. I would think using the same size tank would be the smart thing but seeing that used 72's are cheaper, I'm thinking of getting another one of those in the future rather than spend on another 108.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom