How to check used regs without going to your LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I have an ip gauge. Whats the recommended pressure as set by manufacturer? Where do I find that? So I will just check pressure and dive in the pool with it. then spring not below 20 ft. If it works good then it will work forever.

I wrote what I wrote below before the post above. Self sufficiency is not everyone's strong suit. Perhaps you should get someone else to service it.

And yes it will work f o r e v e r.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually, when I buy used gear I just take it apart, clean it, and go do a lake dive with it.
If it works it works; if it doesn't it doesn't.
But then again I dive in such a way that a failure is an inconvenience, not a disaster.

Judging from the last shot, I'd want somebody to take a look at that. Assuming it looks as bad in real life.
For someone that knows Sherwood, isn't there supposed to be a filter screen?

Save everybody the trouble of looking:

View attachment 136329

I see a filterscreen. It's the sintered metal bit below the star washer.

Life Support Equipment - Regulators are only simple devices made up of springs, o-rings, pistons (in some), needle valves, and other parts and pices. Checking IP etc will only tell you what it is doing here, at 1ata and not the condition of the internal parts. Old o-rings can be brittle and fail at depth. But hey, what is the worse that can happen?

Bottom line, have it serviced, then you know all the usual replacables are new and it is sound internally and you can start your annual maintenance plan from there. Dive equipment should be serviced by a qualified technician and often like your life depends on it, because it does.

First off, a reg of the age, in a completely unknown condition does not need to be "checked out". It needs to be serviced. This entails replacing wear parts (seats and a few o-rings), cleaning metal parts, and careful inspecting all of the other o-rings (or just replacing them). There is no cheap and easy way to do this. You have one of two routes. You can learn how to do this service yourself, buy the needed tools (approximately $200 worth for most regulators), and service it. You must be fairly mechanically inclined, and you must take the time to read at least one of the available books (another $50) to really understand what you are doing. Going this rate, your total price including the $125 you paid, and the cost of service parts off ebay assuming you can find them will be about $525.00 the first time. This will substantially less for subsequent services since you will only need to buy the parts. The second route is to have your LDS do it. I would estimate you will pay about $150.00 - $200.00 for this. Of course, if your LDS finds that the regulator is beyond repair, you will have proof that it was not-as-described, and be able to send it back. This lesson to be learned here is that when you buy regulators off ebay that were not recently serviced, you must add the cost of servicing to the total.

I bought my first regulator set offf ebay. It was Scubapro Mk10 with a 109 second stage, and conshelf 21 octo for $180. It had just been serviced, and the seller sent me the receipt for the service along with the dive shop phone number. It was $180.00, and figured even if I never got it serviced myself, it was $90.00 a year for my own regulator set. I just bought a G250 that I plan on inspecting myself. From the pictures, it is in excellent shap, and so it should be very easy to take apart and inspect. If there are problems, I will just wait until next Spring when I get the rest of the reg set serviced, and have it serviced instead of the 109. It was actually a long debate in my head about whether or not to relace the 109. I really quite like it except for the weight.

Well, yes. If you are unable or unwilling to do it yourself, you have little choice but to trust the job to someone who happens to work in an LDS and attended a day of training. That is the low end of your dive shop service tech qualifications. I am not sure why that makes you feel better about YOUR safety and comfort.
As far as extra precautions with an ebay kit, I'd probably take a close look at a few of the more accessible o-rings and other soft partds for signs of deterioration in storage. But I don't see the need for an automatic servicing. In fact, I just received an ebay reg that has to be about 35 years old. Looks like it might be NOS - no sign of having been wet. Holds vacuum well but freeflows pretty badly. From what I have seen so far, I'm hoping to adjust it (Pilots are a bit tricky I hear) and take it diving.
Im sorry mon I can't let this go.
It sounds to me like you have experience servicing your own gear and good onya.
But without knowing the experience level or mechanical aptitude of the OP I feel your post is just asking for trouble.
The very tone of their post suggests a lack of knowledge.
On that basis to THEM I'd say take it to your LDS.
I sure as heck wouldn't want to find out at 30 feet down that I'd pinched/nicked an o ring or a seal had crumbled from lack of use/uv exposure.
I Put your advice akin to the good ol shadetree mechanic. He can with his eyes closed change a set of brake pads and bleed up his brakes.
The kid on the other end of the internet he's telling it to though. What is his level of mechanical skill ??

Sorry mon if thats offensive to you but your advice honestly frightens me.

If you do not have basic knowledge and understanding of regulators, in general, and are reasonably comfortable with the specific reg at hand, then you may have little choice in how to proceed. Having an IP gauge and little to no understanding of what you are doing is not a good route to success. But it is really little different whether you are dealing with a new in the box regulator from your LDS, a used regulator with a known history, a regulator freshly out of service, or a regulator with unknown history. To one degree or another, the risks of failure are present with all of them.

You should have the knowledge to inspect and test that regulator. You should have the knowledge to know what could go wrong and what effect it would have. And, if the very idea of a regulator failure at depth sends chills up and down your spine, you should look into golf.

Generally speaking, regulator problems related to age and lack of service will be poor performance and leaks (vacuum and/or pressure); and they are most likely to occur at the surface. Catastrophic failures at depth will most likely involve service (assembly) errors.

I just sent a 1st and 2nd HOG set I purchased "Lightly Used" out for service so as to have all my regs come due about the same time. It will be the last time I buy used gear from an auction or sale site. The cost of parts and labor to have this set rebuilt and setup made it a very stupid buy. Could of bought new for the same or less. I trust the individual that did the service and he sent me pics of what was found upon opening along with a full description of his findings. Another plus was that an itemized invoice was sent to me with his findings. I have to say that Jim Lapenta provided a exceptional level of service for me again. I sent this reg to him after purchasing a D1 cold 1st and D1 2nd new from him. The new HOG's breathing ease and performance prompted me to think that the used I bought was not up to snuff. What he found made me glad I sent it. Again I will say no more used regs for me. Wetsuits, gloves, and such however, I see no problem with used.

Rather then taking it to a so called qualified person you should become qualified to service your own equipment. There are lots of resources here in the DIY section and for older regs the vintage section. This is no where near as hard to do as most people think.

This post demonstrates why I have come to the conclusion that all serious divers should take classes on equipment maintenance and repair when offered. It is also useful to have a relationship with a local shop where you can watch and learn as they service equipment. I would never forego spending $50.00 in favor of risking my life with used gear I bought from someone I never met, knowing nothing about the use and service history of that gear. It's not worth the risk. And I have servicing and repair skills.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom