how to configure hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i understand that different teams have different requirements because of differnt types of operations and the such

also

if you could somehow help me find the vegas team i would be extreamly grateful
i spent a few hours a while ago trying to find something about them online and i couldnt find anything other than an article about a fatality at the closest lake and that only taked about park rangers and "the dive team"

i also searched for a dive team from Boulder City and again couldnt find anything
Lake Mead and Lake Mojave are the 2 huge lakes connected by the colorodo river and im extreamly surprised that i cannot find a active rescue team or even recovery team.

all i seem to hear about are deaths on the lake
never a successful recovery.

but if LEO connections make it easier that would be great if you could find any contact information.

thank you for your time and i also would like to thank you for your service.
( i think i went through and read all your posts since the beggining of this forum :O)

I'm not a PSD but here is some training info. Call these guys to get your information. You want to be a PSD?

Nevada (Las Vegas)

All levels of Public Safety Diving available through Instructor Trainer.
Courses Start monthly.

For more information contact:
Steve Castle, Director
AAI Neptune Divers
5831E Lake Mead Blvd. Las Vegas Nv. 89156
Phone 702 452-5723 (closed Wed.)
e-mail scuba@lvcm.com

i would love to
and i understand the demands mentally and honestly believe i could handle them
i would sure try to at least.

Gary D.:

I would second that. I am pretty new to the Teams and gary D recomended this book to me He thinks it sould be required readiing by all in the PSD feild

there is so much infermation in this book I would have to agree with him.
If PSD had a bible this would be it.
I am on my third time through this book' and still after reading it twice befor in the last two months I am still picking information up that I had not managed to retain from the two other readings.

Sparky

I messed up trying to quote.... lol so I edited and reposted... sorry for not KISS

paintsnow:

QUOTE]

Desert Pirate got me thinking about this quote. Like he said, Welcome to PSD.

Some areas are not just going to get a lot of successful recoveries and with Lake Mead you are in one of those areas.

Small shallow waters get a lot of recoveries and in a lot of cases get floaters within a few days or weeks. With big deep bodies of water that isn’t the case. Tools like Deep Diving Mini Subs, SS Sonar and ROV’s are needed. If you don’t have access to those tools the victim may just RIP where they are.

With any body of water you have to have good witnesses that can get divers to the area. Without them you are searching for a very small needle in a very large haystack. We have had witnesses place victims over four miles away from where they actually were. No matter how good your team is they can only operate with the tools they are handed.

Lake Mead is about a third bigger than our big lake but is only about a third of our depth. In those bodies of water divers are almost useless except close to shore in the shallower areas. Our big one has some 500’ depths within 50 feet of the shoreline and many more non-diveable areas closer than that. Waters over 1000' deep don't like to give anything up.

The majority of our water is diveable but like anyone else we need a target area. We had a group in a boat that hit one of the log rafts being towed up the lake. We have one missing. The area is roughly 1 mile wide and 10 miles long in 100’-130’ depths. Then ad in that he may have been trapped in the logs for a while making the area up to 20 miles long. Where do you start?

Here is a sat pic of the lake. The area is right up the middle almost the entire length.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=17&Z=11&X=20&Y=205&W=1

If we had a good starting point we would have started a bottom search. But with the tools we were handed we didn’t. It goes right back to Risk VS Benefit and in this case the risk is just way to high.

So do some research and see what the situations are on why there wasn’t a recovery. The department with the areas jurisdiction should be able to help you out.

Good luck :wink:

Gary D.

Paintsnow, two years ago I was able to join our Sheriff’s dive team. I had one or two things to learn, well maybe a lot of things to learn. The first thing Gary D did was look over my dive gear. By the time Gary D got done with my dive gear the only thing I had left was one knife, mask, fins and my air bottle. The rest of it he said was no good for a PSD. At first I was offended, but now I understand why we have the type of equipment we do. How fast can you pull out all your gear, put it on in the dark (by your self) and hit the water, ho ya and it is 10 degrees out side and you best be ready for that 26 degree water to hit your face. Now that will wake you up. This is just one or two reasons why we have the gear we have. Simplicity is also a good thing and everyone on the team has the same gear. If and or when you join a PSD team, it is real important that you do a LOT of listening and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Gary D, if you would was my mentor and now a good friend of mine. If you get a mentor I hope for you, you get someone like Gary D. Because Gary D ran me through the ringer and just kept throwing things at me to see how far he could push me. One day I got cough up in a line only about 40 foot down in 38 degree water. It was a training dive and I had a rocky with me. I stopped to clear my mask and the rocky was gone. So I continued in the direction we were traveling for about forty feet and turned around and started back when I go cough up in some wire. After getting myself out of the wire I got back to the rest of the group and got out of the water. As I was taking off my gear Gary D came up to me and said I heard you got tangled up under the water. I said yep! Gary D said “good”. I just stood there for a sec. then I realized what he was thinking. So tell me about it, what did you do? How did you act, or react? Did you panic? After telling my story to Gary D he said good job! There are people in life you think you can trust, and there are people you know you can put your life in there hands. I work with sheriff divers and firefighters every day and we are constantly putting our life’s in someone hands. With all our countless training hours and equipment that gets us were we need to go, I always have to remember to thank God for giving me the strength, courage and a great group of people to work with. PSD have a tuff job to do and people really don’t understand what and how we do it. Just dive down and get him or her. Right, like Gary D said we do a lot of our work in the “black”, and I hate the black!
The Fire Guy.

paintsnow:
i understand that different teams have different requirements because of differnt types of operations and the such

also

if you could somehow help me find the vegas team i would be extreamly grateful
i spent a few hours a while ago trying to find something about them online and i couldnt find anything other than an article about a fatality at the closest lake and that only taked about park rangers and "the dive team"

i also searched for a dive team from Boulder City and again couldnt find anything
Lake Mead and Lake Mojave are the 2 huge lakes connected by the colorodo river and im extreamly surprised that i cannot find a active rescue team or even recovery team.

but if LEO connections make it easier that would be great if you could find any contact information.

thank you for your time and i also would like to thank you for your service.
( i think i went through and read all your posts since the beggining of this forum :O)

Actually there are dive teams that cover that area. Bullhead City, AZ and the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office have active teams. There's a seminar this spring in Laughlin, NV. Here's a link: http://www.bullheadfire.org/diveseminar2007.html

I've been to the previous three and it's a good time as well as a great exchange of information. We have one day of lectures and two days of diving, both in the lake and the river.

Back
Top Bottom