How to ensure my safety when there is no guide dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thefirststep2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I dove in Asia ( Philippine, Malaysia) , Jamaica and United States for several times.

I found a major difference for scuba diving in United States than in Asia is that DM in United States won't get into the water take care of divers. All the divers in United States are asked to get into the water by themselves, no DM would take care of the divers underwater and lead the team.

But in Asia, u will see DM and instructors lead the team all the time, in case of anyone get lost or any emergence happen. In Jamaica, there were always 3 DMs take care of divers, one in the front of the team, another in the middle, while the last DM follow the last two divers.

I would rather get a guide to dive with me in United States, however, it cost too much here. In San Diego, it will cost $120 just for guide fee for three tanks diving. ( that's too much )

So I wonder, how can I make sure I am safe enough in the dive trip? Would anybody share some tips with me, to let me feel more confident under water? I already know one of the tip, that is look at the shadow of the boat, is there any other tips ? Please see my questions..

1) If the boat is going to be anchored, there would be a big shadow on the top of water. I guess look at that shadow would help to relocate myself.

2) Always follow the buddy . But how about if my buddy and me get lost?

3) Should I buy a underwater compass? Or if there's any equipment can help me to find my location?

3) Is there any other tips to help me feel more comfortable to dive with ONLY my buddy?

Thank you very much ... looking forward for your valuable tips. .. :kiss2:

:popcorn:reel em in

Well... if I'm not careful with my answer, this thread could end up in the Pub. :wink:

I guess the US dive operators assume that the diver has been trained to dive without a guide. Just like a driver's education class. Once you get your license you can drive a car without the instructor sitting next to you telling you where to go and what to do. However, if you're not comfortable driving a car by yourself, for $120.00 I will lead you around. :D

Most folks get into diving for exploration, not tours, IMNSHO. However, if you want more time being trained to feel comfortable, there's nothing wrong with that. You just may have to pay for it.
:popcorn:reel em in
Now Dennis... I behaved myself, didn't I?:eyebrow:

No one can ensure your safety at anything, a gamma burst could kill us all in minutes, safety is over rated, live hard, die wore out, no matter, you are going to die, make it count.
N

I dove all over Singapore and Malaysia with Singapore Club Aquanaut and we never had a divemaster. We never had a briefing other than depth yet we all survived. I had the most outstanding dive buddy and we just jumped in, dove down, swam around and came back up.

We had a loose guide in Thailand on a liveaboard out around the Similan Islands. The guide wasn't there to help us dive, just point out the sights. In fact, we spent evenings just diving around wherever we happened to be anchored. No guide...

In the Maldives we lived on a small island and dove off a boat. These dives were definitely guided. Not necessarily as much fun.

Around here (Monterey, CA), you are on your own. Your buddy is about all the help you will get.

An OW diver should be able to take care of themselves. If you still have concerns, sign up for more classes. Education is the path to safety.

Richard

One would presume that you are a grown up diver. A certified diver should be able to navigate and dive without a babysitter. A DM is not your personal tour guide, neither is he/she your dive servant to help you in and out of the water. If you wish one of those, you should pay for it. In Asia and other dive destinations, DMs work like this for the possible tip forthcoming. I hoped you tipped your babysitters.

Hello Firststep,

First of all, a compass would be a good idea (to orientate yourself and give yourself direction in the absence of a guide - or even when you're with a guide).

I didn't see what certification level you're at from your profile. If you haven't done your Rescue Course, I would recommend it highly. The course gives a really good overview of some very important aspects of diving such as:

Diving preparation
Dealing with common problems that may occur
Dealing with stress
Navigation
Rescue procedures

If you've already taken the course, give yourself a bit of a refresher and go over things like pre-dive safety checks and navigation.

Also, if you're not too sure about your navigation, consider taking a navigation specialty.

You mentioned you were concerned with the extra cost of diving with a guide. A bit invested in training and practice will give you the additional knowledge and confidence that will take you a long way into being an independent diver.

All the best and happy diving.

bombstrangelove.jpg

N

Forget "tips", that's a band-aid approach. Focus on your dive skills and practice in a safe environment until you feel that you can ensure your own safety.

A DM is not guaranty that you will be safe in all situations. Even a good DM can make a mistake or overlook your mistake. You safety is first of all in your hands.
Study hard, dive a lot, practice your skills, get a good buddy, invest in good equipment, study more and dive more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom