How to get into Super Macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question for advanced macro photographers. I have a Canon t3i and I do macro with a 60mm lens. I would like to get into SUPER SUPER macro to bring out magnified details on some of the smaller ocean creatures. I am trying to understand how to achieve this. Should I buy a Diopter? If yes which one and How does diopter change photography technique? If someone could give me tips and equipment recommendations that would be awesome!

Cheers -

CS

Adding a wet diopter is the easiest way. I've heard of people using extension tubes as well, but it's more limiting. Unlike a wet lens, extension tubes cannot be removed underwater which means you'd be stuck doing supermacro for the entire dive.

There are a few effects it will cause. First, you'll have to get even closer to your subject which means holding the camera steady and getting strobes into a tight place will be more challenging. Second, the depth of field will be reduced. Focusing precisely becomes more critical since you've got a thinner plane of in focus portions of the scene. Closing down the aperture can help with this somewhat, but that will require upping your strobe power, increasing your ISO or reducing shutter speed to compensate.

I use the +10 from ReefNet as well, although I've found it to be of little use on the 60mm lens. Not enough magnification and the lens has to be nearly touching the subject. A lot of vignetting until you focus real close. Then, like I said, the lens is too close. I've also found it to be tough to get good strobe coverage with the subject that close to the lens. It works, but for the little gain in magnification, not worth the effort - IMHO.

Works great with my 105.

So 60 mm lens is really not the preferred lens for Super Macro as I am understanding? In order to get serious about this, I would need to buy a 100mm or 105mm lens with 10+ diopter?

I use the Canon 60 mm macro lens a lot, and certainly it is the workhorse for macro. For super-macro, I add on the Nauticam SMC. It works fairly well, nice shots are possible. The main issue is that the working distance becomes very short, so you need a steady hand and a cooperative critter. I would love to try the 100 mm macro lens, but unfortunately this is not possible with my camera/housing combo. From what I have read, diopters work better with the 100 mm.

I may bump up my aperture from around f/16-20 to f/18-22 range when I put the diopter on, but since I am that much closer to the subject, little to no adjustment is necessary to my other settings. On ISO 200, my strobes are usually around half power. If I bump up my aperture to say 22, I may have to up strobe power to 3/4.

I would disagree with Decidedlylloyd regarding changing shutter speed. Changing shutter speed does not affect exposure in super-macro, since all your light is coming from your strobe (which fires at something faster than 1/2000 of a second, so always faster than your shutter).

To answer Capt Sinbad, regarding is 100 mm lens plus a diopter the easiest way to get into super-macro, I think the short answer is yes! ;-)

Last edited:
To get into super macro, the first step will be to completely have your head, so you won't have any hair to pull out. With the Canon system, I would not go to the 100 macro lens but would go to the Tamron 60 and a 1.4 teleconverter. That will get you 1.4 x magnification out of the box. Then add either the subsee or the Nauticam SMC and try to find a whole lot of patience, this stuff is quite difficult to get great pictures with. Then if you have any sanity left and want to go really big, get the Canon 65 lens; that one will really test your devotion to super macro. There is also a new chinese 2x lens but it is only manual focus that supposedly is quite nice but you will have to make your own focus gear. The Tamron 60 + 1.4 is still auto focus, most of the macro stuff on our website (blueviews.net) was shot with the tamron/tele combo.

Bill

Hi Bill, Thanks for the useful information. I am interested to know why you suggest the Tamron 60 mm rather than the Canon 60 mm. Is it because the Tamron will take a teleconverter without the need for an extension tube? My understanding is that a teleconverter will work with the Canon 60 mm as long as you put a 12 mm extension tube in-between. So for myself and the original poster who are already invested in the Canon 60 mm, can we try that instead? Would it work just as well as the Tamron (i.e., still auto-focus?)

cheers,

Rob

Yes that is why. I have also successfully used the 12 mm canon extension tube with the teleconverter but you lose infinity focus. That being said you get a bit more magnification as well.
Bill

Good thread

Back
Top Bottom