• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How to get warm in 57-degree Fahrenheit water

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by FPDocMatt, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Garth

Garth Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    This thread is titled wrong. It should be " how to stay warm in 57 degree water."

First be warm then stay warm and that would require staying dry and using undergarments.

2. Doc Harry

Doc Harry Solo Diver

If the water temperature is below 75 degrees F then I am in a dry suit.

3. Nitro91

Nitro91 Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    That is crazy... 60F just means a 5/4mm suit plus 1.5mm shorty with hood gloves and boots. No problems there.

4. FPDocMatt

FPDocMatt Contributor

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Is diving in a dry suit in cold water as much fun as diving in a wet suit in warm water? That is, is a dry suit uncomfortable, cumbersome, unpleasant to wear? I read over the dry suit chapter of the adventure diving manual, and I got the impression that dry suits are a bit of a pain.

5. Doc Harry

Doc Harry Solo Diver

You mean is diving dry, warm and comfortable as much fun as diving wet, cold and miserable?

6. FPDocMatt

FPDocMatt Contributor

No, I mean is diving dry, warm and comfortable in cold water as much fun as diving, wet, warm and comfortable in warm water. You might want to reread my question.

7. scubajim 1

scubajim 1 Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Yes Matt it is as much fun and even in warm water you will be able to dive more often and longer because your core temp won't drop as much. You will have plenty of energy after the dives because your body didn't spend it keeping your core warm.

8. Doc Harry

Doc Harry Solo Diver

I'm just making a joke. :)

It all depends on what you mean by "warm water." Some people may call 75-degree water "warm."

But if I am doing 3 to 4 dives a day for a week, 75-degree water gets to be pretty darn cold. So if I am doing one or two dives, I might consider a wetsuit under those conditions. But if I am going diving for a week, I will dive dry.

Also the weather plays a big role. If it is sunny and 85 degrees then I might dive wet. But if the forecast is for wind and rain, then I will defintiely be diving dry in 75 degree water.

I went diving in the Florida Keys last winter. The water was 78 degrees, and everyone on the boat made fun of me for wearing a dry suit. But half of the divers on the boat skipped the second dive because they came up from the first dive shivering.

Your personal thermoregulation and body make-up is another factor. When I go diving in Cozumel for a week (80-degree water) I will dive in a 5mm because the repetetive diving really wears you down, and I get really cold on the 4th dive of the day. As you known being cold predisposes you to decompression illness, so I really avoid getting cold at all if I am pursuing aggressive, repetitive dive schedules.

And I've never been bent.

A dry suit is just a comfortable as a wet suit - even more so, because you're WARM.

scubajim 1 likes this.
  9. farsidefan1

farsidefan1 Contributor Rest in Peace

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My solution? add an equal amount of 107 degree water and wait till it evens out at about 82 degrees. If that isn't practical go diving somewhere that he water is already near desired temperature. Really, this works! Well, the second part anyway.

10. FPDocMatt

FPDocMatt Contributor

Okay, then I'll seriously consider getting one.