How to identify a good Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
How can one determine if an instructor is “good” before taking a class with them? It seems universally accepted that the most important single factor in the quality of training is the instructor, but what makes an instructor “good?” Is there a universal “good” instructor or does “goodness” depend on an individual’s abilities and expectations? From personal experience I think a can tell a “good” instructor from a “not so good” instructor or a “terrible” instructor but only after taking a class with them and only now after taking multiple classes. But when I took OW I had no frame of reference.

The only things I have figured out is that when you think you've found a “good” instructor consider yourself lucky and stick with them for additional training if possible.

And the only practical way to identify a “good” instructor prior to taking training with them is by referral.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mike

Referral is a good thing especially when you are a total beginner.

But what happens if someone good for me is a disaster for you?

Luckily none of us is exactly the same to the others (it would be damn boring) but someone's methods and style might be the best possible for me and a total mishap for the next in line.

Gut feelings are just as good: talk with the perspective instructor if this is possible, and if you are certified try to go diving a couple of times with him/her before making any decision.

personal recommendations are ideal. If you can't get one then going for a dive with them is a good idea. If you are a complete beginner then most dive centres and instructors will take you for a 'try dive' (In the places i've trained: Egypt, UK).

I think the most productive thing a person can do is to watch a pool session. You should be able to get a sense of what the instructor's capabilities are or maybe whether you feel the instructor is thorough or not. Does the instructor seem oranized and does the session seem to flow smoothly. If a student has a problem what do you think of the way the instructor handled the problem?

When talking to past students of an instructor if you hear too many things like,"its easy" its a breeze to get through" "theres nothing to it" then maybe thats not the best instructor.

I do think MikeS is correct about new students not having a real frame of reference.

Another thing is that many shops have several instructors; so the new student may talk to one and think,"this person seems to be a great instructor". They sign up for the class and get an instructor they never met, who may or may not be as good as the first one they met.

I also think that the student needs to make a sicer effort to be the best student they can be. IMHO this means coming to class & pool sessions fully prepared to actively participate in their education and training. Students who do otherwise drag down the rest of the class.

It is a tough one. Differences between the various instructors I've trained under and worked with have been vast. From verging on incompetent to amazing, the main difference being patience. I've found (and this is purely a personal thing) that their experience, although important, is not always the greatest yard-stick. Their ability to listen to your questions, understand and address your concerns are the main things.
Obviously their ability to teach the right skills is paramount, but you will not know this untill you hit the classroom/pool. Yet you should be able to pick up on their 'mental attitude' (for want of a better phrase).

Good luck and enjoy, it truly is an amazing experience.

Ad

I agree that patience is a factor that will make the difference between a student feeling rushed & ashamed or confident that he is making good progress. I would add "a commanding (not necessarily LOUD) demeanor" for a couple reasons: 1) classes can fall into disorder & not progress due to fascination with socialization, etc. 2) Decisive instruction is appropriate in a totally new environment.

"Would you like to put on your fins now & head to the water?" is not the same as "Everyone approach the waterline with your fins on your wrists. Now, the person on the left will support his buddy in a figure-4 so he can put on his fins." Many of the mistakes I have made as an AI involve being too tentative. It gave the impression that the students could do whatever was easiest, not whatever was correct.

I also agree with those who recommend referrals. I would add that it is good to be referred by someone who is still diving 2-3 years after the class, not someone who just finished it because the frame of reference comes after you attempt to apply your skills.

Ask to look at his LogBook
check for all filled in, see if he writes about each dive and what it was like. It will prove he still holds an intrest in the sport.

Personal recommendations

What level of instructor he is and how many certifications has he done.

Reccomendations from other divers.

Go along and watch a pool and theory session. Any Instructor worth his salt we be glad to let you sit on on the theory

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://hompage.mac.com/sydney_diver

I have been lucky I guess to have had some very good Instructors but I would ask the shop and then ask different people about them. I would also talk to them and try and get some kind of comfort level prior to class. But then again I get along with pretty much everyone :D

Rich :mean:

... is like a good restaurant. They will always take you behind the scenes. It means they have nothing to hide.

Ask any instructor to show you his "gear room" if it is packed full of gear all tidily organised and there is a steady flow of students, then chances are its a reasonable operation. People do the talking with their feet.

Check his own dive gear, if it is in good repair and clean, then he has a professional attitude to make sure he creates the right impression. (You never get a second chance to make a first impression)

Will he take time to talk about the courses he offers? (Why should you do this course with me as opposed to Joe Blow LDS down the road?)
Will he show you videos of the courses he offers?
Does he have any of his student's acheivements on the wall. (we had a Divemaster wall where all the DM's names and maps were on a congratulation list. Also, if the DM went on to become an instructor, then they had their own wall.

None of these will tell anything really, but it will give you an insight as to wether he will have time for you on the course, and that's what we all want, to be special. Then qualification will be an enjoyable thing.

Belushi really went to the superlative! Yeah, if the instructor has alumns who have continued to persue diver education & even become educators themselves, you don't just have a teacher, you have a mentor, a supporter, a real mensch!

There are lots of instructors who can introduce you to the basics then let you either pay for another class or hang up your fins. A guy who keeps people in the water after the OW/AOW is worth studying under.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom