How to Keep an SMB Rolled-up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I apologize in advance for this question, but I bought an OMS Surface Marker Buoy (safety first!) and would like to keep attached to a finger spool and hooked to my BC instead of keeping it in my BC's pocket. Unfortunately, the buoy does not have a piece of velcro or some other mechanism to keep it rolled-up.

Any suggestions to address this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

Go to your local hardware store and buy some double-sided velcro strips. If your worried about losing the velcro you can sew it onto an area that will not penetrate the SMB. If your not worried about losing the velcro then just wrap it around your rolled up SMB.

Does it come with a clip or attachment point?

I keep a lift bag rolled up and secured with a band I made from 1/8 inch bungee cord. I find having some on hand is useful for quite few things like that.

Get some thin surgical tubing, make 2 loops with it using zip ties ,1 loop goes around the SMB snug the other loop attaches to your BC you will need 2 to hold the SMB top and bottom. I have mine attached to my backplate this way. It will work well with a BC too.

Attachments

• DSC00960.JPG
    DSC00960.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 515
Not to start a big debate, but it's been my experience that surgical tubing rots pretty fast and will break when you least want it to. So far, (knock wood) I've yet to have a bungee break on me.

I used to use the tubing for my backup regulator, but it's just to fragile it seems.

Not to start a big debate, but it's been my experience that surgical tubing rots pretty fast and will break when you least want it to. So far, (knock wood) I've yet to have a bungee break on me.

Bungees are merely multiple surgical (non) tubes, if you will. In the case of a 1/8" bungee, you only have three or fours strands of rubber.

Everything rots. A bungee's fabric covering will hide flaws.

I just go with a couple of #20 rubber bands that I change out constantly. Just depends upon your level of adherence to P.M. (Periodic/Preventative Maint)

1 for the line, one for the sausage, one to hold them together.

Me? I got a checklist.

Randy!! you have started a big debate whether you like it or not!! I change the tubing once a year its cheap and easy, never had one break unintentionally in 10 years of diving. I like the fact that its strong but yet weak enough that I can just pull hard on it and it will break in a emergency situation. Bungee cord is a bit harder to break in my opinion.

Ladies hair bands, a pack of 10 is a few bucks and are great for lots of scuba uses. I use them for holding jon lines coiled, octo holders and pretty much any where I need an elastic band. Throw one around your SMB and you are good to go. Get the ones without the metal clip.....you can get them in pretty colors or DIR black :)

Bungees are merely multiple surgical (non) tubes, if you will. In the case of a 1/8" bungee, you only have three or fours strands of rubber.

Everything rots. A bungee's fabric covering will hide flaws.

I just go with a couple of #20 rubber bands that I change out constantly. Just depends upon your level of adherence to P.M. (Periodic/Preventative Maint)

1 for the line, one for the sausage, one to hold them together.

Me? I got a checklist.

Not true. Bungee is made from several strands of rubber which is protected from the outer jacket. I'm not saying the bungee never breaks, just not as often. I suppose if you're using low quality bungee there are only a few strands, but the stuff I have is made from probably 30 strands or so. I lucked out when I bought it from someone on eBay. I got a hundred feet and it's very high quality.

But again, I'm sure it breaks and wears out, but not as often as surgical tubing. At least that's my experience. It's year 3 for the necklace on my single rig, and no sign of any trouble with the bungee. And if some of the strands break, the outer covering will keep in from falling off. So as you see, there are several reasons why bungee is actually better than surgical tubing.

But if you want to change it every year, then I've got no problem with it. Most folks, I'd guess don't' wanna mess with it that often.

weak enough that I can just pull hard on it and it will break in a emergency situation. Bungee cord is a bit harder to break in my opinion.

When I read your first post I was wondering how you get it off...but you've answered it!

One of the ways I was thinkin was just make a loop on your BP that the SMB slips into...if you need it just pull on the SMB and it pops out of the "surgical tube or bungee" (both have work well in my experinces...I prefer small bungee's or large surigical tube) but the loops still stay tied on your BP unless you must break them for some reason. That why your replacing for maintenace reasons and not use. Just another idea...

SFFRENCHMAN...the pic that simcoediver put up is a great way for you to set up you SMB if you have a some d-rings on your BC. Whether you use surgical tube or bungee, i'd use two loops so it has a backup to keep it from accidently falling out...JUST MAKE SURE YOU CAN EASILY PULL IT OUT WITHOUT A BUNCH OF HASSLE!

I suggest experimenting between surgical tubing and bungees and see what works for YOU.

Back
Top Bottom