How to paint neoprene or rubber??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Plasti Dip. It's available in a few different colors as well as a spray can (nice for use with stencils).

They used to make a rubbery paint called "U-Name-It" that was great on wetsuits. I don't think it's still available (if it is please get me a bottle of white and a bottle of blue).
I did some on-line searching and I wonder if what you are thinking of is Trident's U-Mark-It paints. They are available in a number of colors, even glow-in-the-dark, on Trident's website.

Either way I think these would be good to explore for wetsuit painting and plan on doing so myself.

Hope this helps!

I found "Puffy Paint" from the fabric department at Walmart ... same as U-Name-It, just easier to get and much cheaper.

Last edited:
I personally would stay away from any paint with oil in it, most paints do have some sort of thinner(acetone of such) what about paints made just for plastics and rubber as stated early on. me i dont want a orange hood your a bigger target to get fixated on.

It worked fine, it was a little thinner so I did multiple light coats but I was happy with the end result.

I have a paint system undergoing salt and chlorine testing noiw, so far all results are good, so airbrushing or just brush work on wetsuits, fins etc. isnt as far fetched an idea as one would think, and colors are limitless.

I saw a posting in regards to a Spiderman theme, would be easy to do now.

Tool dip can peel off rubber easily once a bit starts to come off.

I've seen great results with paint pens and those gel/paint squeeze bottles you get at art stores.
The ones highschoolers use to decorate their shirts for homecoming.

The gel bottles come out a bit bumpy and embossed, but the good think about them is that you can make designs on your hood if you want. Just don't expect to fill those designs in with color. Your hands really cramp squeezing those things X_X

In any case both of these don't come off.

Metallic sharpies also stick to rubber fairly well, although a little bit of rubbing can wear parts out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom