How to pick a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi OldNSalty! You started this post asking about the crotch strap. Now at post # 123 you’re still asking! :)

You’ve heard a lot from experts. One of the good things about this board is that you can get comments from all types. Sometimes people starting out just want to hear all sorts of opinions and then make up their own minds. And if they decide they want to go their own way and gain their own experience, well, no offence meant to those who are offering their wisdom gained through the years, but that should be okay, too. But even in those cases, hearing that voice of wisdom is very important and much appreciated, so keep that coming, please.

Anyway, back to the crotch strap. I’ve used it in the past. Lately, I have just left it off. I may go back to it some time. It seems a little much (for me) and I have not found any lack of stability without it. It is quite rare that I go upside down and I don’t remember anything special. (I see people in mainstream BCDs going upside down – I can guarantee their cummerbunds are not the magic trick. It’s just not that big a deal maybe unless you get very acrobatic.) I do cinch the waist belt pretty snug. I use a 3 mm wetsuit that has seen about 150+ dives and rarely go below 100 feet, so probably not much compression on the suit, keeping the belt still pretty snug throughout the dive. I can still doff it in the water, but not very easily. Single tanks only.

Crotch straps can be seen as optional. It shouldn’t be the deciding factor, or even one of the factors. Cost is negligible, so get it, try it with & without, then decide. But it might make you look & feel cool! And one is never too old or salty for that.

Hope this helps.

LOL...fair enough. Yes, it took 131 post to hear decidedly someone say 'it ain't all that'.

I kept trying to think in my mind the physics of how it was so much the 'make or break' part of the equipment because some post left me with the feeling that without it the harness might just fly right off my back :)

LOL...fair enough. Yes, it took 131 post to hear decidedly someone say 'it ain't all that'.

I kept trying to think in my mind the physics of how it was so much the 'make or break' part of the equipment because some post left me with the feeling that without it the harness might just fly right off my back :)

I find these "OMG, do I need a crotch strap!!!!?" debates funny.

I can't recall the last time I ever noticed mine during a dive that did not involve a scooter, using anything from trunks to drysuits.

I just don't see any downside to using one, and plenty of upside.

Tobin

I meant, "I" don't use a crotch strap. I have... I just don't feel the need for it for what I do, which is dive the east coast of florida to a 130 at most.

You are going to ride higher on the surface utilizing a crotch strap as a consequence of the BCD not sliding up on you. It takes about 3 extra seconds to grab and thread the buckle through the end loop while donning your rig....

"Needing" or "not needing" a crotch strap is IMO relative to how you're diving and what you care about, but I can say that it does have an effect and it's *immediately* noticeable when not there. And I'm not talking about a reduction in discomfort either, since as Tobin mentioned, you simply don't notice the crotch strap when you dive. But when it's gone, you definitely feel the tanks ride higher and shift around left to right and up to down, even if you stay completely in trim the whole dive. Normally, it's nothing that will ruin your dive. But you really don't feel as stable/solid as when it's there.

Because threads are discussions. The OPs usually get their questions answered and then the benefit of alternative viewpoints and suggestions.

For instance..... if a newbie diver posted a thread asking "how do I fill my cylinders from my car exhaust", I would not expect many replies describing a process to do that.... but I would expect some prudent advice and discussion on the correct method to safely fill a cylinder for diving.....

:rofl3::popcorn:

On the crotch strap I'd have to totally agree with what has already beed said.
When wearing it I don't notice it regardless of what exposure protection I'm wearing or not.
The few times I have gone without it were the times I've noticed a reduction in the rigs stability and my comfort due to shifting.
I use a 1" strap and haven't experienced a 2" wide version so I can't comment on whether that would have any effect.

I find these "OMG, do I need a crotch strap!!!!?" debates funny.

I can't recall the last time I ever noticed mine during a dive that did not involve a scooter, using anything from trunks to drysuits.

I just don't see any downside to using one, and plenty of upside.

Tobin
Funny but hopefully understandable given that...
1. 99.9% (<-made up stat) of the BC's one encounters tend to get by without it.
2. The only time most divers see this set up is in some old movie along with vintage equipment, cars and surroundings leading one to think that we've "progressed" beyond this design.
3. To the casual observer it looks to contribute about as much as having a skull cap that attaches to the BP/W vi a strap.
4. It really does look uncomfortable-I mean not to me, I wear one to work sometimes I like them so much...and it has the added benefit of keeping people out of my office.
5. I don't really have another point but I think points are better made in odd numbers.
:wink:

I guess if you consider the typical badly fitting, badly designed jacket BC riding up on the surface and allowing the tank to shift around at depth despite having an uncomfortable, restrictive cummerbund (A truly stupid BC feature) "getting by" then I suppose you're right.:D

2. The only time most divers see this set up is in some old movie along with vintage equipment, cars and surroundings leading one to think that we've "progressed" beyond this design.
3. To the casual observer it looks to contribute about as much as having a skull cap that attaches to the BP/W vi a strap.
4. It really does look uncomfortable-I mean not to me, I wear one to work sometimes I like them so much...and it has the added benefit of keeping people out of my office.
5. I don't really have another point but I think points are better made in odd numbers.
:wink:

No doubt vest type BC's dominate the market, but that's hardly evidence of their fitness.

The fact remains that there are lots of BP&W sold and incidents of accidental neutering remain "non existent"

Yet crotch straps remain a huge concern, almost exclusively among those of you have never used one....

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom