How to practice leg muscles in gyms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starelf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I'm a newbie in SCUBA and got my OW last months. I have not much experience in diving but really interested in it. During my 6th dive in Balicasag I started in a medium current. According to my training, we should dive against the current at the beginning. But the 10 mins swim against current really made me exhausted and cost about 80 bar air, which shortened my diving time to about 35 mins.

I think on one hand I need to practise my kicks and buoyancy, or buy my own fins (the rented fins were really stiff). On the other hand I need to practice my leg strengths. My questions here is which muscles are used the most in diving and how to work out them in gyms? Can anyone give any suggestions? There is a gym in my office building with good equipments and swimming pools but I do not know where to start.

FYI, I use scissors kicks now. Seems the frog kicks are more efficient but for a newbie seems it's not easy to learn.

Swimming laps in fins is a great way to work the muscles.

Swimming into current is always going to be hard work and use a lot of gas. And you don't frog kick into current or flow; the frog kick incorporates a "glide" phase that is very inefficient if water is trying to push you backwards. We generally use the flutter kick or the cave flutter, which is done from the knees.

If you are not used to pushing against water with fins, your muscles will get tired.

Squat and Deadlift.
By the book, "Starting Strength", by Mark Rippetoe.

You need more strength, not weaker fins.

That is all.

Cheers,
Mitch

Thanks Mitch, I'll try that.

Swimming laps in fins is a great way to work the muscles.

Swimming into current is always going to be hard work and use a lot of gas. And you don't frog kick into current or flow; the frog kick incorporates a "glide" phase that is very inefficient if water is trying to push you backwards. We generally use the flutter kick or the cave flutter, which is done from the knees.

If you are not used to pushing against water with fins, your muscles will get tired.

Swim...Swim...and Swim with fins. Train like you fight or rather, SCUBA :wink: .

Thanks to both of you. Correct me if I'm wrong since I have never swam with fins in swimming pools. When I do scissors kicks, with I bend my knees in deep water, my fins are above my body. But if I swim with my fins in a pool, I can only swim on the surface, so I can hardly complete my scissors kick since if I do my legs and fins would be out of water. Therefore I cannot maintain a standard kicking action.
But I do can practise frog kick in swimming pools.

BTW, is there any sources to see the instructions of each type of kicks? Thanks in advance.

Thanks Mitch, I'll try that.

Thanks to both of you. Correct me if I'm wrong since I have never swam with fins in swimming pools. When I do scissors kicks, with I bend my knees in deep water, my fins are above my body. But if I swim with my fins in a pool, I can only swim on the surface, so I can hardly complete my scissors kick since if I do my legs and fins would be out of water. Therefore I cannot maintain a standard kicking action.
But I do can practise frog kick in swimming pools.

BTW, is there any sources to see the instructions of each type of kicks? Thanks in advance.
You can practice snorkeling in the pool... face down. kick from the hips without too much bend in the knees. However, you are correct in that surface swimming does not move the leg through the full range of motion, because the hamstrigs are not fully worked....so what I do is.. at the end of my work out do a hard 200 yard swim laying on my back, kicking only with the fins. Try to kick down deep and use the hamstrings. this will finish up the leg workout very well..

You can practice snorkeling in the pool... face down. kick from the hips without too much bend in the knees. However, you are correct in that surface swimming does not move the leg through the full range of motion, because the hamstrigs are not fully worked....so what I do is.. at the end of my work out do a hard 200 yard swim laying on my back, kicking only with the fins. Try to kick down deep and use the hamstrings. this will finish up the leg workout very well..

That's briliant idea! I'll try it next time. Thanks

These are my favorite skills videos.

Thank you, I'll watch them when I get off work.

FYI, I use scissors kicks now. Seems the frog kicks are more efficient but for a newbie seems it's not easy to learn.

Personally I've found that a highish (I'm no athlete) level of aerobic fitness does more to help me feel comfortable both diving and during other activities in normal life than training specific muscles.

I think if you cycle or use a cross trainer and do 45 minute workouts including 20 minutes of running and then do that 4 or 5 days a week that your large muscle groups will be trained well enough. After that, the best way to target the supporting muscles is to go diving and use them.

R..

While leg strength is important you might want to work on cardio if you're worried about exhaustion and air consumption. Really this only is achieved through something very similar to practice. As suggested above use a snorkel and do laps in a pool/ lake submerged for length. Focus on breathing and consistent, medium-strong kicks. If you do practice weight lifting and muscle strength, make sure that you're doing 80-90 reps per set, this is for endurance training and would be more similar to the prolonged workout you'd receive fighting a current. Don't be a hero however and use weight that is appropriate and challenges you, not something that will hurt you. If it starts to hurt, stop, drop your weight a bit lower and take a break to recover. Even endurance needs to be worked up to.

That aside, the stiffer the fin, the more power you'll get from it. Single bladed stiff fins with channels, width and size are probably your best chance for fighting current. You may also want to put a leading hand/ arm out in front of you to help break the water just a bit and reduce drag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom