How to Splash With a GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, but I can't stow a tray like a pole, and I'll end up not taking it,so the pole works best for me, since I'll actually use it. I'm pretty new to underwater filming, so I can imagine getting a tray setup as I progress. I can still barely operate my GoPro. LOL
I'm right there with you, thus me using a simple strapmount. One day...one day

I agree, but I can't stow a tray like a pole,
Sure you can. They break down to take up less space than a pole. Here's the Snake River design, which is my favorite.

srsrptry.jpg

They are heavier, and the added mass helps to smooth out the movements during videoing. Hey, if your heart is set on a pole: go for it. However, if you want to produce quality video, then the tray works really well.

Sure you can. They break down to take up less space than a pole. Here's the Snake River design, which is my favorite.

I meant while in the water. My GoPro stick attaches on left side at left shoulder and left hip d-rings. For me, it's a tight, easily accessible, streamlined setup.

They are heavier, and the added mass helps to smooth out the movements during videoing. Hey, if your heart is set on a pole: go for it. However, if you want to produce quality video, then the tray works really well.
How much does a setup like that run?

I meant while in the water.
So does my tray. I added a clip and it just hangs nicely as I splash or climb back on board. I never hand my camera up. However, if I'm bringing my GoPro on a dive, then I'm taking video. Here's one of my first attempts on the Speigel Grove. In both of these videos, I'm using the shallow Flip Filter.

How much does a setup like that run?
A hundred or so? It will last forever and can be used from one GoPro to the next. I love the two handles when doing a panorama. The pull/push makes a steady, steady shot.

Very nice! I almost bought a tray setup when I first got my GoPro, but I went with the stick, since I use it for activities other than scuba diving. Still, I've got a feeling I'll be getting a tray soon.

I braided the cave line so that it looked more reliable and put a couple zip ties on the UK pole to attach the bolt snap when not in use so it wouldn't swing around. I just snap it to my right side shoulder d-ring when jumping in and hold it close with my forearm. Works good enough for me

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I currently have bolt snap attached via cave line to the rubber handle. I can barely work this camera (Hero4 Black with LCD BackPak) and hope to get some selfies so I can better see my trim in the water.

A tray and lights is in my future but those will have to wait due to finances.

and hope to get some selfies so I can better see my trim in the water.
The other great thing about a tray: you can place it easily on the bottom and point it in such a way that taking sefie videos is simple, easy and effective. I often do that for my students in the pool as they swim about. I don't have the time to baby sit the camera so it sits on one end of the pool catching them coming , turning and going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom