How was DEMA 2009 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 24 hours the OP can not edit their own post. This has ALWAYS been at the request of both of the OP and the Manufacturer. If there were a discrepancy, the OP would have the final say. I am sorry you see this as a police action on our part, but it is not. We do not scan pricing anywhere on the Board nor do we make a habit of editing capriciously. I hope this helps to clarify things.

That does clarify, but wasn't what you said.... but thanks for clarifying

That does clarify, but wasn't what you said.... but thanks for clarifying
You merely ASSUMED that it was the manufacturer who made the request. I didn't specify. It is what I said, only amplified. You aren't the first to assume that we would go "Big Brother" on a forum known for it's freedom of expression. It's a certainty that you won't be the last! :D

Those who have been contacted by various manufacturers for MAP violations can attest that they had the final say. Manufacturers who have contacted me to edit the same have always been referred BACK to their customer (the OP) to resolve the issue with clear instructions that I would side with the OP's desire. Dealers who complain about other dealers are told to sort it out among themselves or to report it as they see fit. I am certain that I am missing a few iterations here (like court orders), but you can count on us to be as fair as possible for all concerned.

The point of the post was not to provide you with a specific mechanism for these kind of issues, but to show you that we are aware they exist and are more than willing to assist. Again, I hope that this clarifies things a bit more!

Walking into the DEMA show upon arrival early Thursday afternoon, I expected a disaster. Parking lot at Convention Center was much less crowded, and more ominously, we were the only people we saw between our truck and the door to the center (usually there's a steady in/out stream).

Inside, it wasn't so bad. Smaller, yes, but it was easy to find folks you wanted to connect with. Got about 30 feet into show and spent next 90 minutes at the first aisle intersection because people we know kept coming by (theory: floor was smaller and less crowded, so it was easier to see people you recognize).
Also had a chance to meet with some dive notables, always a DEMA highlight. Had a pleasant and wide-ranging conversation with Carl Roessler, who doesn't me know me from Adam. Talked cameras with people who know what they're doing (although the pros are bemoaning the loss of outlets who actually, you know, are willing to buy images).
Did not see a lot of gear stuff that made me want to run and tell other people about it.
Lots of travel booths, as stated previously. (Theory: Resorts also have to keep their names out there, or they're dead. Also, some form of promotional support from their respective governments may be involved in covering some expenses).

Greetings from a DEMA new-bee!

My first DEMA show! I heard from others that the show was a bit smaller by the vendors on the showroom floor but all in all it was still very large in size!

Also the classes, updates, mini-seminars, etc were NUMEROUS in number each day and were professionally presented!

The Party's were fun with lots of ETOH!! Some had light food & it appeared a good time was still had by all! DEMA was a LOT BIGGER than Beneath The Sea or others throughout the year & in the big picture it still was worth attending!!!

Good comments MindMagick:

DEMA states that 30% of people attending are coming for the first time.

If you enjoyed your first DEMA show and found the time informative, the parties fun, that
is a good sign for the future shows.

What would you like to see that would make it even more worthwhile?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom