How was PADI veiwed when they started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Evans

"Mr Mares"
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
When PADI started up, how were they viewed at the time by the diving community, They, like GUE had links to a manufacturer, was this frowned upon at the time? Was the trainning they offered considered to be good? Who was around at the time for them to compete with?

I'm not sure how PADI was viewed, I was too young but at least LA county, the YMCA, NAUI and CMAS were around. I also believe the NASDS was around before PADI was created.

SCUBA diving history

That link is slightly pro PADI.

Mr Mares:
When PADI started up, how were they viewed at the time by the diving community, They, like GUE had links to a manufacturer, was this frowned upon at the time? Was the trainning they offered considered to be good? Who was around at the time for them to compete with?

If you check into the history of scuba instruction you'll find that the group of people who started it all are the ones who ended up starting most of the agencies(at least in the USA). Like anything that humans do or participate in personal philosophy gets involved and they left to start their own agency.

Its kind of like religion. Most believe in the same one God but look at how many different religious groups there are all with the same basic meassage but a gazillion ways to go about it :wink:

MikeC:
I'm not sure how PADI was viewed, I was too young but at least LA county, the YMCA, NAUI and CMAS were around. I also believe the NASDS was around before PADI was created.

SCUBA diving history

That link is slightly pro PADI.

Thanks for the link, looking for something a bit deeper :11:

jbd:
If you check into the history of scuba instruction you'll find that the group of people who started it all are the ones who ended up starting most of the agencies(at least in the USA). Like anything that humans do or participate in personal philosophy gets involved and they left to start their own agency.

Its kind of like religion. Most believe in the same on God but look at how many different religious groups there are all with the same basic meassage but a gazillion ways to go about it :wink:

Its funny but the term "religion" has popped up in threads about DIR. :06:

Mr Mares:
Its funny but the term "religion" has popped up in threads about DIR. :06:

That's 'cuz scuba diving is a religious experience ... :wink:

As for the agency stuff ... kinda reminds me of the side-by-side churches. One would be singing "Will There Be Any Stars In My Crown", and the other would start singing "No Not One" ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I started diving in the winter of 61-62 (well before PADI came into existence). At the time I didn't need certification. When I finally got certified in 1969, it was through Los Angeles County (the earliest and best agency in the country at the time). PADI was about two years old as I remember, but I had never heard of them at that time so I can't comment on their reputation.

During the 70's, LAC and NAUI were the two agencies I was most familiar with. I didn't try PADI until recently when I realized I needed a certifying agency better known internationally since many didn't recognize my LAC card (or if they did, felt it should be in a museum!).

Doc

drbill:
I started diving in the winter of 61-62. I didn't try PADI until recently when I realized I needed a certifying agency better known internationally since many didn't recognize my LAC card (or if they did, felt it should be in a museum!).

Doc

Surely not :D

I think drbill brings up a point that may be the difference between the perception of PADI when it was brand and GUE. Back in the beginning for PADI there was no internet so there was no sudden world wide appearance of PADI.

JBD- Good point on PADI's proliferation via the Internet. Of course it was fairly well-established before the Internet went commercial (and therefore more available to the general public).

Doc

Back
Top Bottom