How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Absolutely correct... Moderators still have a "quick reply" box in a closed thread. If a moderator was in the process of posting, or didn't notice a thread was closed, they could easily post in a closed thread accidentally.

But are any of you guys allowed to open a thread just to get in the "last word" so to speak and then close it again?

But are any of you guys allowed to open a thread just to get in the "last word" so to speak and then close it again?

What you describe is an inaccurate description of the "incident" to which I believe you are referring. If you don't like something a moderator does, you always have the ability to complain to a higher power by emailing abuse@ or appeals@ scubaboard.com

I have seen it happen as much as a couple days after......talk about typing slowly :rofl3:. This is true however I have only seen 3 people do it (1 disturbingly often and the others only on a rare occasion) so I do not personally see it as worthy of a specific email. We tend to lose such battles anyway consider who the opponents are :wink:.

Yes. Absolutely correct... Moderators still have a "quick reply" box in a closed thread. If a moderator was in the process of posting, or didn't notice a thread was closed, they could easily post in a closed thread accidentally.

I have to give a thumbs up to boulderjohn along these lines. Different topic, different thread. He inadvertantly responded to a closed thread. After some PM traffic, he removed his comment from the closed thread. His comment was thoughtful, and could have stimulated further discussion. Since the thread was closed, further discussion was not possible. I have to commend him on doing the right thing and not just getting in the last word - intentionally or not.

I have to give a thumbs up to boulderjohn along these lines. Different topic, different thread. He inadvertantly responded to a closed thread. After some PM traffic, he removed his comment from the closed thread. His comment was thoughtful, and could have stimulated further discussion. Since the thread was closed, further discussion was not possible. I have to commend him on doing the right thing and not just getting in the last word - intentionally or not.

I disagreed with his deletion, and had a "regular" member also contributed a thoughtful post only to have it deny because the thread was closed, I would have posted it for them explaining that they posted when the thread was closed. (If the user had asked by PM, E-Mail, or other communication)

It all depends on the situation. Some people expect black and white rules, and that's just not how it is. :wink:

Good that reasonable people can disagree, and still be civil. We could use a bit more of that around here from time to time.

Good that reasonable people can disagree, and still be civil. We could use a bit more of that around here from time to time.

I know you are not talking about yourself...

If I may, things can go a completely different direction than the OP thought it would, but stay on topic. Sometimes the topic shifts but is still related to the OP's topic. These are not troll fests, but natural progressions of the original posts. If they go to far off topic they can be split and often are. A good example would be to split this discussion off and place it in site support since it is completely off topic. And in many cases the members bring them back to topic. Most of the time when there are requests to close a thread, it is because the OP hasn't liked the responses, but that is the nature of discussion boards. Not everyone will always agree with you.

Not agree? On the internet? That is unimaginable!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom