How you see yourself....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coogeeman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I had a contractor come out and see me yesterday (not diving related) and one thing led to another and the guy tells me he loves diving and just come back from a diving holiday. So we start to chat....

He then tells me that he's a "Tech Deep diver" and I say that’s interesting, so what kind of diving do you do? How deep do you go? Do you use Tri-mix? Do you hunt for wrecks? How many dives have you done? I'm genuinly interested in his experience and I love talking to technical divers, because I’m not.

It turns out that he has done a total of 80 dives! He's an advanced diver and has been diving for 8 years....that’s 10 dives a year!

Nice guy and everything and he had no idea that I was a diver when he started talking to me but it’s interesting that he see's himself as a "Tech Diver" and happily tells people the same.

Isn't it interesting how people see themselves!

Coogeeman

Coogeeman:
...snip...
It turns out that he has done a total of 80 dives! He's an advanced diver and has been diving for 8 years....that’s 10 dives a year!...

Maybe he stays at depth for a week at a time? :eyebrow:

Otter:
Maybe he stays at depth for a week at a time? :eyebrow:

OMG, that is funny.........I see myself by looking in the mirror.

ShakaZulu:
OMG, that is funny.........I see myself by looking in the mirror.
And every day you seem to look different :wink:

As for how i see myself, woefully short of being what i consider a good diver, but working on it! I am however competent at diving at my level and inwardly reflective on my diving - hence the constant striving for improvement.

Coogeeman:
I had a contractor come out and see me yesterday (not diving related) and one thing led to another and the guy tells me he loves diving and just come back from a diving holiday. So we start to chat....

He then tells me that he's a "Tech Deep diver" and I say that’s interesting, so what kind of diving do you do? How deep do you go? Do you use Tri-mix? Do you hunt for wrecks? How many dives have you done? I'm genuinly interested in his experience and I love talking to technical divers, because I’m not.

It turns out that he has done a total of 80 dives! He's an advanced diver and has been diving for 8 years....that’s 10 dives a year!

Nice guy and everything and he had no idea that I was a diver when he started talking to me but it’s interesting that he see's himself as a "Tech Diver" and happily tells people the same.

Isn't it interesting how people see themselves!

Coogeeman

So how do you see yourself?

Total Posts: 89 (0.18 posts per day)
You list your occupation as a writer, but you only have .18 posts per day (Join Date: 05-21-2003)

I'm not a writer
(or a diver in your opinion, I'm sure, with only 7 dives)

But I do have

Total Posts: 196 (1.51 posts per day)
(Join Date: 05-07-2004)

Let the guy think what makes him happy, if he thinks he's a tech diver so be it. Are you planning to go diving with him?
Maybe his skills are there, he could be a natural.
How many dives in your book does it take to be a tech diver anyway?

Pretty dumb. :wacko: Has he been below a 100 feet, as a "Tech Deep diver"...?

I'd tell him that I was a 200 dive learning diver who hasn't been to 200 feet yet, but I've got a new Reg ordered.

Don't think 80 dives make anyone a tech diver and just because I don't post everyday doesn't make me a non writer either. You have some strange ideas!

Personally I've done over 2,500 dives, most in temperate waters but I don't see myself as anything other than a diver. You've done 7 dives and that's great. Are you a diver, yes, you've passed the course and you have a certificate to prove it so congratulations.

Tech diving is a skill that requires specialized training but that's not the point either. The point of the thread was how people see themselves.

Coogeeman

I published a book on Australia's best SCUBA diving sites last year.

It's called "Atlas of Australian Dive Sites" Travelers Edition. Its on Amazon if you want to have a look at it.

Coogeeman

Back
Top Bottom