How your rig has changed over the years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still - just - using the fins I bought around 20 dives in. They're starting to crack up now, though, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace them in the next few weeks. It'll be a sad day...

Other than that, wetsuits never last me more than 12-18 months before they fall apart, boots ditto. Got through a couple of BCDs before discovering that with a BP/W set-up I can just replace bits that break, then bought a Halcyon 30lb wing that just keeps going. Had less luck with doubles wings, made a bad choice initially, then had a couple of failures, I've had the current one for two years. The two masks I have now I've had for around 5 years, but one of them is starting to come apart. Lights, reels, knives, computers, flood 'em, drop 'em, decide I don't like 'em, just never seem able to keep them. Did have a Suunto Stinger for 8 years, but they refused to repair it when it broke as repairs would cost almost as much as buying a D6. Which broke three months later. Bah.

And then there's regs. Less said about that the better. One day, I will be a brass and chrome magnate and the world will belong to me. :wink:

Seriously? You can watch Law and Order 24 hours a day? My cat would love that. She's obsessed by that show. And Columbo, obviously.

Last edited:
Between the original, all the spinoffs, and the 6-10 channels that play them, it sure seems that way. Right now, 10-11 pm AZ time SVU is on the USA channel. I'm flipping between Ancient Aliens and Reef Wranglers right now.

My gear underwent a major convulsion about six months after I learned the dive. The original BC I bought went out the window with my snorkel and my split fins. I am still diving the backplate and wing I bought to replace them (which I bought used from NW Grateful Diver). I don't dive the Jets I bought to replace the splits, because about two years ago, I replaced those with Dive Rite EXPs, which fit my feet better.

I'm on my third dry suit, but I've had the same kind for four years, although the suit itself has been replaced. I'm on about my sixth undergarment, but I'm pretty pleased with this one.

It took about four masks before I found one that really fit, and it lasted five years, until it got knocked off the truck tailgate and shattered. Unfortunately, all the markings had worn off it, and I had no idea what kind it was, and the shop where I had bought it had closed. But I found my current one, a Dive Rite mask with ground-in bifocals, at Cave Country Dive Shop, and it hasn't leaked a drop since I bought it.

I replaced my original dive light in the convulsion, but the Nite Rider I bought then was shortly replaced with a Salvo 21W HID, which I still have, although it's been converted to LiIon.

All in all, gear's been pretty stable since I figured out what I wanted to dive.

My main changes have been in fins - I have gone through 3 sets - each with their own footwear. First were a pair of Atomic Splits. Hated them. 6 months later I moved to rip-off copies of Jet fins - they lasted me about 3 1/2 years before the booties started to come apart at the seams and the rubber at the bottom of the foot pocket started to split. Now I have Hollis F1's with rock boots and socks - takes me longer to gear up, but I really love 'em.

Went BP/W from the onset - DSS LCD30 and SS backplate - still dive it today - also have a DiveRite Rec Wing with redundant bladder for diving twins (not as sold on the DR wing - could have done without the bladder I think)

Regs - Bought 2x SP G250V & a MK17 1st stage - still going strong, also have a hog set that I bought for twins, but also occasionally use for singles. Both sets have brass and glass SPG's, although I had to replace the HP hose on the SP regs recently as it blew (in the carpark whilst gearing up)

Suunto Vyper Air computer - still use it - I like the air tracking and compas (for when I really want a bit of arm real estate back and throw my regular one back in the dive tub). Paired now with a SW Petrel.

Wetsuits have changed - due to loosing >60kg.

I don't think there are any purchases I really regret - except maybe the DR rec wing - for a similar price I could have bought a SM BCD as I would rather have moved that way - however it is still a nice bit of kit - and the atomic splits.

I switched from Apollo Bio split fins to Hollis F1s.
I switched from an old USD Conshelf XIV to Apeks Tek3s.

I first used SCUBA during the winter of 1961-62. A lot has changed since then. In the early days we didn't use BCDs... just plastic backpacks (and good weighting). I didn't use my first BCD until 1989 when it was a requirement while diving with a Cousteau team. It didn't work properly (auto-inflated) so I simply disconnected it andf continued diving. Didn't buy my first BCD until the mid 1990s and it was a jacket type. Switched to a soft harness in the early 2000s and nevcer looked back.

Of course things like K-valves (to replace the J-valve), octos, SPGs and dive computers were all added to my rig over the years.

I guess the biggest change for me has been moving from a weight belt to a weight integrated BC and now diving fullfoot fins instead of open heel fins. Of course in my 21 years of diving I have bought new and I guess better stuff but regs are regs and computers are computers. I do have a AI computer now and my first one was the original Sherwood Source. My other big change came a few years back when I took up doing video.

Since I started in 2002 I have upgraded my mask, hood, boots, and gloves (the cheap stuff they upsell you on when you get certified finally wore out), went to a weight integrated BC, upgraded lights (although I still have my original), upgraded fins, and just recently upgraded my regulator. The only original pieces I still use regularly are the lead in my pockets and my dive knife (it was a gift and I absolutely love it). At this point I am very happy with my rig and don't have any planned changes other than perhaps a computer down the road.

Between the original, all the spinoffs, and the 6-10 channels that play them, it sure seems that way. Right now, 10-11 pm AZ time SVU is on the USA channel. I'm flipping between Ancient Aliens and Reef Wranglers right now.
Any time I schedule a surgery I go into DVR hoarding mode. I even like law and order, but after four episodes back to back I'm ready to move on to something else.

Back
Top Bottom