Howdy from Memphis!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all love it, but living in the Memphis area provides no diving opportunities
It's a 4 hour drive to the Pennyroyal quarry in Hopkinsville, Ky. and about 3.5 hours to the Madison quarry in Alabama. Not sure if there are any closer to you. I've been to Pennyroyal but not Madison. It's 8 hours to Panama City which kills a day each way, but a 3.5 - 4 hour drive could put you in the water on a weekend instead of waiting for vacation time.

It's a 4 hour drive to the Pennyroyal quarry in Hopkinsville, Ky. and about 3.5 hours to the Madison quarry in Alabama. Not sure if there are any closer to you. I've been to Pennyroyal but not Madison. It's 8 hours to Panama City which kills a day each way, but a 3.5 - 4 hour drive could put you in the water on a weekend instead of waiting for vacation time.
Thats cool to know... but I have never dove in a quarry.. and I hear they are always very cold... and my big ass can't fit in a wetsuit, well none that I can find anyway. There is an instructor here that takes her students to Mermott Springs in south Illonis (I think I spelled that right), which is just a quarry I think.

Thats cool to know... but I have never dove in a quarry.. and I hear they are always very cold... and my big ass can't fit in a wetsuit, well none that I can find anyway. There is an instructor here that takes her students to Mermott Springs in south Illonis (I think I spelled that right), which is just a quarry I think.
In the middle of the summer the first 20 ft is comfortable in swim trunks. The first thermocline drops enough that I am comfortable with a 3/2mm but I'm cold natured. At around 100 ft it was in the high 30's in a quarry near Nashville, which I assume would have similar temps as Pennyroyal. I haven't been that deep at Pennyroyal.

btw I've heard some others wax poetic about custom-made wet suits. Also, if you do a quick Google search, you can find extra-large & plus-sized wet suits. (I saw both of these mentioned in a couple of other threads.)

btw I've heard some others wax poetic about custom-made wet suits. Also, if you do a quick Google search, you can find extra-large & plus-sized wet suits. (I saw both of these mentioned in a couple of other threads.)
Thanks for or the idea but I have found that the bigger the size of the suit... the longer the suit is but not wider. I ordered and tried on a 4xl I think. You should have seen me trying to get it over my shoulders and then trying to get the zipper past my chest!

I know if a website that does custom fit wetsuits but damn they are expensive. Hundreds of dollars.

Welcome to the diving world prunefoot and wishing you and your family many safe and happy years of diving together!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom