HOY mga pasaway !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well . . since we always end up off topic . . . let's not bother organizing it anyway. And as for the tagalog . . just don't forget to put a translation on the side. Anyway, Mikey, dlldavid, and our regular foreign visitors get along just fine . . . YOU HAVE TO GET ALONG or ELSE?!?!? :D

Kim:
The point is that we have received quite a few complaints about 'alienation' as things are now. Some people continue to find the use of local dialects they can't understand very off putting. This solution allows for an area where people who want to can talk in whichever language they wish - without it bothering anyone else. What we need is a name for it.
and no one gets suspended?

i don't understand why people get off put by the use of dialects. I visit here all the time. It doesn't bother me.

And to contact the mods and complain about the use of Tagalog or other in the PHILIPPINES sub forum? Those people must have rather large sticks shoved somewhere interesting...

paolov:
who will host this egroup?

SB is being generous into providing us this "space" to host this section. so a host gets to offer priveledges and it comes with TOS. it is a free offer.

no to what?
egroup free on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com

"no" to opening a sub-forum

still devil's advocating:

is there a need? a real, un-met need for this particular group to have a vernacular subforum? what objectives will that meet or achieve? why does it have to be under SB? why not a locally-based forum? pinoy exchange? what will a vernacular subforum contribute to SB as a whole?

solo divers and pinoy divers are not equivalent in terms of answering the above questions... the DIR forum can be shut down too to avoid flame wars and trolling but that choice has not been made...

likewise the solo divers forum can be opened at the risk of flame wars being fought on tender ground...

it is like telling anilao to close down so that the PPD (all, what, 50 of us) can dive on those days exclusively... sounds great if you're PPD, if you're not it sucks

i wish to also point out the question on whether to open a Matt the wonder boy forum... majority said "no" - not because we're a-holes and don't like or support matt, but because that would mean the board doing the equivalent of "playing favorites"... and if they do it for matt, they have to do it for all...

it has been decided for tagalog too - they allow dutch, polish and tagalog in the proper context - they can choose to say "english only no ifs, no buts" but chose not too

at the end of it all: what makes us PPDs so darned special vis-a-vis the 54000 members of SB that we are given our own little world to revolve in where people like laurens, mike v, larry bird, dnldavid and all the other adopted PPDs and lurkers are excluded not by choice but by the very fact that they will simply be unable to participate in our discussions?

Jag

Kim:
The point is that we have received quite a few complaints about 'alienation' as things are now. Some people continue to find the use of local dialects they can't understand very off putting. This solution allows for an area where people who want to can talk in whichever language they wish - without it bothering anyone else. What we need is a name for it.
it can also work in favor - if we get the word out to local divers, there might be a spike in new members... actually, that could be bad also. :)

I really like Bahay Kubo.

(Pao, how's that boothat the dive show? No go?)

ishbaby:
well . . since we always end up off topic . . . let's not bother organizing it anyway. And as for the tagalog . . just don't forget to put a translation on the side. Anyway, Mikey, dlldavid, and our regular foreign visitors get along just fine . . . YOU HAVE TO GET ALONG or ELSE?!?!? :D

I agree. As it is, it's getting harder to keep up with the posts, after having read all new posts of a certain thread, I return to the index, and there come in additional replies in the said thread.

But i also agree with Lolo Paowee's (Welcome back po!) suggestion.

Confused? Bahala na kayo (it's up to you).

Mike Veitch:
i don't understand why people get off put by the use of dialects. I visit here all the time. It doesn't bother me.

And to contact the mods and complain about the use of Tagalog or other in the PHILIPPINES sub forum? Those people must have rather large sticks shoved somewhere interesting...
i have to agree...

i don't want to rustle too many feathers but maybe those who complain are tending to be "holier than thou?" it is an international forum and internationalness has its pitfalls - from both ends

tech and netdoc have specificated that they will not issue a directive against dialects, we, for our part, have tried our best to be more responsible in language use in terms of TOS adherence and accessibility to non-speakers

i really don't see what SB will gain from giving the filipinos a little private room with a door where they can talk amongst themselves - again, there are other venues for this if the core group truly wish to exchange pleasantries amongst themselves in a local language

Jag

shugar:
egroup free on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com

"no" to opening a sub-forum

still devil's advocating:

is there a need? a real, un-met need for this particular group to have a vernacular subforum? what objectives will that meet or achieve? why does it have to be under SB? why not a locally-based forum? pinoy exchange? what will a vernacular subforum contribute to SB as a whole?

solo divers and pinoy divers are not equivalent in terms of answering the above questions... the DIR forum can be shut down too to avoid flame wars and trolling but that choice has not been made...

likewise the solo divers forum can be opened at the risk of flame wars being fought on tender ground...

it is like telling anilao to close down so that the PPD (all, what, 50 of us) can dive on those days exclusively... sounds great if you're PPD, if you're not it sucks

i wish to also point out the question on whether to open a Matt the wonder boy forum... majority said "no" - not because we're a-holes and don't like or support matt, but because that would mean the board doing the equivalent of "playing favorites"... and if they do it for matt, they have to do it for all...

it has been decided for tagalog too - they allow dutch, polish and tagalog in the proper context - they can choose to say "english only no ifs, no buts" but chose not too

at the end of it all: what makes us PPDs so darned special vis-a-vis the 54000 members of SB that we are given our own little world to revolve in where people like laurens, mike v, larry bird, dnldavid and all the other adopted PPDs and lurkers are excluded not by choice but by the very fact that they will simply be unable to participate in our discussions?

Jag
I'd have to agree with Jag's points. I don't feel right if it's just to appease the minority. But I've been noticing a spike in people from Thailand in the Gen Asia Forum so I think they would be more deserving of a subforum before we got another one.

To be honest, will the subforum really be used often?

edit - my true feeling is: bahala na. I'll still contribute the same as I always do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom