HP 100 vs HP 119 or HP120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have put some thought into doubles... But think I would prefer a single tank for spearing and lobstering...

The 100's are perfect for a casual dive, just not enough when going deep or chasing fish....

Valhalla,
Happy New Year!
Why does the height make a difference to a boat owner? I would think the diameter would be of more concern not fitting in the tank holders.
Warm Regards,
George

Depends on the boat's tank holders. Brackets - no problem. Bottom craddle and bungee on top system - they will find a way to topple over in seas...

P.S. They are not wild about 8" diameter tanks either. Remember, I talking about some six-packs...

I have dove both the 7.25 HP120 and 8 Hp119. I am 5'10" and I much preffer the 119's shorter height. The diameter difference is insignificant except if you switch diameter tanks.

Personal preference for sure. Once again, I believe I can detect an increase in drag with the 8" tanks. They also tend to wobble or swing from side to side regardless of how tight I adjust my harness. Would I cancel a dive if I had to utlilize? Absolutely not. :)

Depends on the boat's tank holders. Brackets - no problem. Bottom craddle and bungee on top system - they will find a way to topple over in seas...

P.S. They are not wild about 8" diameter tanks either. Remember, I talking about some six-packs...

Thank you! I don't use 6 packs or have the fortune of private boats!

Personal preference for sure. Once again, I believe I can detect an increase in drag with the 8" tanks. They also tend to wobble or swing from side to side regardless of how tight I adjust my harness. Would I cancel a dive if I had to utlilize? Absolutely not. :)

I wouldn't think drag would be an issue however I've only used 119's with a BP/W and therefore was using a crotch strap. Without a crop strap if there is more wobble I would think that would apply to any tank larger than an aluminum 80.

By the way, I am going to post a thread offering two mint condition OMS/faber (grey paint) LP98's. Original hydro 2000, current hydro 11/08. Will acquire cuurent visual inspection for free. $150ea...

I am currently in a BP/W and diving HP 100's... I am looking for a little more gas on the deep dives and am considering either HP 119 or HP 120's....My main concern is trim and and stability.. I dont think I would have a problem with the 120's as i can add a little weight to the upper cam band to balance the legnth of the tank, but I dont like the legnth of the tank....My concern with the 119's is that they may add some roll due to their increadsed diamater... I am a fairly large guy 6'1" 245lbs...
So, you want more gas than your 100s offer? Why not think about 130s? They are similar to the 119s in trim dynamics, only a bit heavier. And, they have the same roll characteristics that you are concerned about with the 119s, but at least you get some extra gas.

I am 5'10", 225 lbs. I (like to) feel that I am strong enough for the weight, although age is clearly rearing its ugly head on me. I own and dive double 100s, 120s, and 130s, and I dive borrowed double 119s. So, my comments are based on MY experience and ability to compare. Actual results make differ.

1. I LOVE the 100s. Great trim, weight is not problem, simply wonderful tanks! If only I could dive to 210' and not use so d**n*d much gas!
2. I LIKE the 120s. They are manageable, a bit heavy when climbing a boat ladder, and a bit bottom heavy for a short guy like me. But, I like them. Good gas supply, no tendancy to roll, at all.
3. I am OK with the 130s. BUT, they (for me) are the most negatively dynamic - once I start to roll, I keep going, unless I work to resist, which I can do. But, I feel like the F117 - I am inherently unstable, and need to be on constant alert. That may be the SS BP, however, and I am changing that. I like the gas supply, but they are heavy and not as stable U/W as I like. However, on land I can manipulate them.
4. I do NOT LIKE the 119s - they are my least favorite tank. On land they are so compact, and so heavy, that I find them a PITA to move around. U/W they are OK, but certainly no better trim characteristics of the 130s. So, if I can deal with the 130s, I have no desire to use the 119s.

Having said that, I still use my 120s over the 119s.

Last edited:
Have not noticed any wobble with my hp119 and enjoy diving with it.

I have put some thought into doubles... But think I would prefer a single tank for spearing and lobstering...

The 100's are perfect for a casual dive, just not enough when going deep or chasing fish....

IMHO... The double 100's seem to feel better then the single 100. They just feel nice in the water, out of the water is another story. I would like to try double 80's at some point. Good luck with your search! :D

Mayor, if you have dove the 100, the 80s are going to bore you. Eventhough the 80s are a GUE standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom