HP or LP double

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to know your openion....I am 6'1 220 lbs dive cold water and nitrox. Trying to get double tanks...should I get the LP or HP? most of my buddies have HP....any advice would be great
thanks

You should get whatever your buddies have. It will make gas matching easier.

I have HP and LP doubles. I use the big LPs for longer dives, and the smaller HPs for everything else.

Peter

pdoege:
You should get whatever your buddies have. It will make gas matching easier.

yeah but most LP's can hold just as much gas (if not more) then their similarly sized HP if filled properly :D

Properly is the key. Easy in some places... VERY hard in others apparently. Even without an overfill, a pair of 108s is a LOT of gas. Overfilled, it's a rediculous amount of gas. Like carrying 3-4 AL80s.

you sound like a large fellow{not trying to insoult} you are tall so you can handle longer tanks but if you are diving with lp 100s and your buddys are diving with high 120s it doesnt mater about gas maching so its not a hp or lp question here it what size tanks are you wanting to use 100 120 so on ans so forth

I would say go with LP. Since you dive with Nitrox you can get a better fill. In fact if you can get your dive shop to overfill them you will get alot more gas. My lp 98 is i fill them to 3500 its 129.90 cubic feet. Thats alot of gas for a medium size tank.

Tek Adventure Diver:
I would say go with LP. Since you dive with Nitrox you can get a better fill. In fact if you can get your dive shop to overfill them you will get alot more gas. My lp 98 is i fill them to 3500 its 129.90 cubic feet. Thats alot of gas for a medium size tank.

HP130s are the same physical size / water volume and are rated to 3500 psi. All other things being equal the HP tanks are hands-down better than the LP tanks. Where things are not equal are that some people prefer the bouyancy characteristics of the LPs, the LPs are cheaper, and nothing (with reasonable buoyancy characteristics) can beat a jacked up LP120...

The HP130 is a LP104 equiv... the HP119 is the LP95 equiv.

How much weight do you want to wear? Look at the bouyancy characteristics of the tanks you are considering and figure out what's going to work best for you. I dive hp100 doubles in the winter, or with my drysuit that end up being -12 empty. With a ss plate and the manifold I'm golden.
I dive lp121s in the summer in a 3mm that are just slightly positive empty. Again, with a ss plate and the weight of the manifold I'm dialed right in.

Scubakevdm,

How are the 121's to dive and walk with. I am buying tanks this winter and am considering those and 108s.

Back
Top Bottom