HP Oxygen Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rigdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know the part #/manufacturer of High Pressure Thermoplastic hose for Oxygen Service. I think the #'s are actually on the hose. I just got a Haskel Mini booster and am cobbling up whips.
Thanks in advance;
Bill

There's an O2 compliant plastic hose? I didn't know that. I use teflon lined stainless steel braided. 1/4" with 1/4" NPT bress ends is Mcmaster part number 4468K202. Speced to 3000psi but I have used it to 3600 routinely with no issues.

There's an O2 compliant plastic hose? I didn't know that. I use teflon lined stainless steel braided. 1/4" with 1/4" NPT bress ends is Mcmaster part number 4468K202. Speced to 3000psi but I have used it to 3600 routinely with no issues.

Check ANDI's website. It does exist. I just don't want to pay through the nose for it.

I checked with my Swagelok, Parker, and O2 hose supplier, none of them have ever heard of it. I found it on a website in the UK, but you will pay through the nose for it. My O2 supplier said they would make any length you want ($3 per foot, plus ends) and cover it with shrink wrap. That would solve the ss snag problem. I'm thinking about it for fill whips for the boat. The rest of the fill system is O2 ready and clean, then I could hook the booster to the fill system and fill 6 at a time instead of 1.

Frank

$30 a foot for ANDI's hose is rather steep. Good luck finding what they are actually using.

Mcmaster sells a vinyl wrapped SS braided teflon hose too. I have a couple of those. Not really necesssary IMO, I just wanted to try it. I have had fine performance from the 3,000psi Mcmaster hoses. Routinuely pump up to 3600 no problem. I think its burst rated to 12,000psi anyway. Eventually I plan on getting a 20ft piece so I can fill tanks right in the bed of my truck. I think 20ft with 1/4" brass NPT ends is currently about $75.

Our company background is high pressure oxygen systems, and as such it is standard practice and indeed necessary that the supplier give clients the full technical details on the hose supplied, for reasons of safety. In industrial use high pressure oxygen service safety requires a full material, manufacture, cleaning, inspection and packaging to be specified. The SCUBA industry should be no different, but sadly isn’t.

Thermoplastic hose used for oxygen service is either SAE 100R7 or SAE100R8 specification. The hose ends are either a two part quill with separate collet crimped together or “pallet swaged” or when using a singe part end fitting they are crimped with a die and pusher. During connection NO OIL is used in the assembly, only suitable oxygen lubricants, and after the assembly is cleaned and certified for oxygen.

High pressure oxygen at >3000psi is very thick and viscous and oxygen at high pressure is magnetic so builds up an electrical static load. For short lengths, and low gas velocity the standard black hose can be used, however for long hose lengths and for high gas velocity, large bank trans filling, gas transfer etc it is common practice to use an orange non conductive polymer outer cover. This is to avoid static build up in the hose that when the static is discharged can spark off an oxygen fire. For light gases including helium it is also common to have the outer thermoplastic layer pricked to avoid gas bumps in the outer cover as the gas migrates through the polymer inner core and braided cover but builds up under the outer protective polymer jacket.

The difference between R7 and R8 in application is the working pressure and safety burst pressure. Normally 4:1 is used for oxygen so requiring a 25,000psi minimum burst at 4:1 the R8 is specified. To allow a smaller bend radius and a more flexible hose arrangement Kevlar is the inner braid of choice. The system and pipe runs should be earthed and a continuity check should be done to avoid static build up.

For safety a 2mu in line filter should be used at the start of the system to avoid spontaneous ignition due to high particle velocity and particle impingement, and the pipe runs should never terminate in the branch of a tee. Adiabatic compression is the other problem with flexible filling whips so it is also comment to run a small coil of Tungum, alpha brass or copper tube to act as a heat sink at the charged end at the point of adiabatic compression. Never use steel or stainless steel tubing at this end.
Although stainless is used in HP low velocity pipe work applications such as inside a compressor it is never used in the high velocity areas such as panels, and long distribution lines. As I don’t see much difference between US and EU in safety requirement with oxygen and the gas appears to behave similar on both sides of our planet I hope this European version helps. Iain Middlebrook.

it is common practice to use an orange non conductive polymer outer cover. This is to avoid static build up in the hose that when the static is discharged can spark off an oxygen fire.

Since plastics are generally dielectric in nature it would appear that a buildup of static loads would naturally occur on these materials and not be dissipated as you imply. Conductive materials like metal are used to conduct or discharge static electricity. Was the quote above a misstatement or an abbreviated explanation? Instead, are the industry trying to prevent escape of stray currents of internally generated static electricity by installing a non conductive outer shield and thereby facilitate passage of electric currents through the conductive hose core ,and to the grounds (earth) at the hose ends? I think that is what you are saying or trying to say and it makes sense. After all, discharge through the shield could start a fire.

Thermoplastic hose used for oxygen service is either SAE 100R7 or SAE100R8 specification. The hose ends are either a two part quill with separate collet crimped together or “pallet swaged” or when using a singe part end fitting they are crimped with a die and pusher. During connection NO OIL is used in the assembly, only suitable oxygen lubricants, and after the assembly is cleaned and certified for oxygen.

I looked up the SAE 100R7 specification at Gates and these hoses all have nylon tubes (cores) and none of them are specified for O2 service by Gates. I can't make a direct link work but just search SAE 100R7 here:
Gates Online Catalog

The use of nylon vs. teflon is a step backwards in oxygen compatibility. I don't know who is "certifying" these materials for O2 service but it definately isn't the hose manufacturer.

This is also not the same material as shown on the ANDI website. That stuff had a 5,000psi WP.

Rig, a search will turn up some hp O2 hoses which are nitrile lined. Nitrile should be OK for what you are attempting. I know the general opinion among divers but this type of hose is likely to give long service with no problems. Make sure it is labeled "oxygen" as some mfgrs use oil to insert the barbs before swaging.

However, if you need the deluxe stuff, these people may have it:
Hydraflow - Engineered Aerospace and Defense Systems Components

This fancy product is rated 3200 psi but I say install stainless fittings and be confident to 5000.
Teflon ® Silicone Covered Hose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom