• Yes

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I consider it optional

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rjack321 and that's where I'm not sure a HUD does anything other than make it more convenient to see. My Meg HUD is useless in bright sunlight at shallow depths so how much good is it in the hypoxic dil situation? Haptic feedback that gives an active alarm and shakes your whole arm or your mouth if it's a vibrating HUD is much more useful in terms of safety.
I dunno I can see mine on both my Meg and my Kiss pretty reasonably. Its not perfect in bright sunlight but I am so rarely in bright sunlight I am not really that anxious about that. I would prefer a haptic BOV shaker, but that's not readily available for the units I have. Diving with only a controller or wrist monitor is the most alarm-less state and I won't do that.

I have never used a haptic feedback HUD - But my Apple Watch does haptics and I like it. I do not think I ever miss a haptic alert.

I have never used a haptic feedback HUD - But my Apple Watch does haptics and I like it. I do not think I ever miss a haptic alert.
My first two rebreathers had haptic HUDs. They were amazingly noticeable. Your teeth vibrate.

Because as @JahJahwarrior says, the weak link is the human remembering to actually look at it often enough. If your day to day check ppO2 on handset frequency is every 3 to 5 mins.. Are you going to continue that on bad day? Is even that going to be enough if your ADV is leaking hypoxic dil near the surface, or your orifice is clogged, your O2 runs out or rolls off, or your solenoid battery dies, or you are distracted by a line entanglement, or a buddy is having problems and you're helping. Having an "alarm" that doesnt require you to consciously look away from what you are fixated on is the idea.

I guess my pov is that a human will almost always take the easy option, without a hud there's only 1 option, if you can't see the hud on the surface it's more of a delay getting the info.

I've had to bail due to high o2 and cell behaviour, both times it was the Shearwater or rather the monitoring that alerted me.

It might just be me but beyond 2 or 3 flashes the smithers becomes hard to track.

I dunno I can see mine on both my Meg and my Kiss pretty reasonably. Its not perfect in bright sunlight but I am so rarely in bright sunlight I am not really that anxious about that. I would prefer a haptic BOV shaker, but that's not readily available for the units I have. Diving with only a controller or wrist monitor is the most alarm-less state and I won't do that.

that's why my unit has a Freedom and not a Petrel... the shaker is noticeable through 7mm suits and in drysuits

I guess my pov is that a human will almost always take the easy option, without a hud there's only 1 option, if you can't see the hud on the surface it's more of a delay getting the info.

I've had to bail due to high o2 and cell behaviour, both times it was the Shearwater or rather the monitoring that alerted me.

It might just be me but beyond 2 or 3 flashes the smithers becomes hard to track.

Unfortunately there has been quite a few cases lately where the lack of any HUD or "in your face alarm" has led to a fatality. Your arm getting shook is another type of "in your face alarm". At least 2 dead in 2 months, plus more over the last couple years.

Humans readily get tasked loaded, tunnel visioned, and we don't look at our wrist as much as we think we do. When the stars align that lapse ends up being fatal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom