huge Lake Texoma catfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blowin Da Bubbl:
I have seen a 5 footer so far at The dam my self but when they get that big they are not as good to eat.

B.D.B

Are you sure it was a blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus)? The dominant large catfish are those Pilodictus things (STILL don't remember the common names!)

Generally channel and blue cats are much smaller and you rarely see them longer than 18 inches.

Even for Pilodictus five feet is a little nuts! Did you make the magnification correction for underwater?

archman:
Texas I believe does not permit noodlin'. It's an affront to the texan way of fishing with revolvers.

I thought they used DY...NO...MITE...LOL

If you ever get out to Bass pro shops in Katy they have some big blue cats around 24" in the tank. Noodlin is too much work for catfish I prefer fishing with batteries they just float up and you toss'em in the boat. Better not let a game warden catch you though.

The common name for Pylodictus olivarus is flathead catfish.

Oddly enough my Petersons says general max length on a Flat head is 61" and a Blue is 63".

TwoBit

archman:
Are you sure it was a blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus)? The dominant large catfish are those Pilodictus things (STILL don't remember the common names!)

Generally channel and blue cats are much smaller and you rarely see them longer than 18 inches.

Even for Pilodictus five feet is a little nuts! Did you make the magnification correction for underwater?

Gotta say I didnt thinK to correct the size so that would have put him at 36" or so I guess. Still the largest cat I ever swam with.lol and 2 times bigger than 18". He was a big boy who didnt care to hang around long at all. Maybe one reason they are not seen so often.Seeing is believing I sometimes say . But enough circumstantial evidence can lead one to accept some things on faith.I've never been abducted by aliens but I think they exist. Never see a pyroplastic volcanic eruption but I am told it happens . Never experienced an earthquake but people fear them non the less.I have never seen GOD or Jesus but I am a Christian. I do agree with what one diver said somewhere on here though that diving is as close as you gonna get to seeing God without actually taking the trip...........

Dive Deep Dive Safe and have fun....will be looking for nessie on my next dive.
Maybe I can get some pics if the viz is better than it was 3 weeks ago.

B.D.B.

TwoBitTxn:
Oddly enough my Petersons says general max length on a Flat head is 61" and a Blue is 63".
TwoBit

It's not that odd. The blue cats are ictalurids and primarily coastal. They tend to get bigger, if they live long enough. But they're not as cryptic as the flathead's (a decidedly freshwater fish), so it's much more common to spot the younger ones (the 1-2 footers). Blue and channel cats aren't as well adapted to lake systems as flatheads's, so they suffer higher mortality.

I have NO CLUE why Lake Texoma breeds monster fish. Maybe it's steroids leached from a nearby gym...

TwoBitTxn:
The common name for Pylodictus olivarus is flathead catfish.

Blowin Da Bubbl:
Seeing is believing I sometimes say . But enough circumstantial evidence can lead one to accept some things on faith.I've never been abducted by aliens but I think they exist. Never see a pyroplastic volcanic eruption but I am told it happens . Never experienced an earthquake but people fear them non the less.I have never seen GOD or Jesus but I am a Christian. I do agree with what one diver said somewhere on here though that diving is as close as you gonna get to seeing God without actually taking the trip....

I can't take this!...we've got scientific (biological) definitions...ontological reality...and...and...metaphysical theory. My...My...My brain is goin' to
explode!

It's O.K., I'm alright now.

Ah got's somethin' that can take care of dem catfish. Scuba dogs!

If'en that don't work, we can always use the mask, snorkle, and frog gig.

Back
Top Bottom