Huge visibility on the North Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was up at Albion all weekend camped out with friends and we had the best visibility I have ever seen on the North Coast.
On Saturday I took a few divers out to an offshore rock and the vis from the surface down to about 80 feet was about 60 - 70 foot, and below 80 feet it soared to at least 80 feet. The water was cold at 49 degrees.
Freedove for abs, did some awesome dives out on my favorite offshore pinnacles and ate some darn good food with great company. Can't wait to do it again!

Glad to hear. I hope your weekend went well and that everyone had a wonderful time.

Alas, the great vis didn't extend all the way down the North Coast. On Sunday, I helped out with a Reef Check survey of the middle reef at Ft. Ross. Vis was milky 10-12', at times worse. 48F.

I saw the same milky layer all way down the coast to Jenner.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for that report Fisheater. Sounds like Stillwater won't be a good dive this week.

Steve

I was one of the divers in Albion. We did a few dives right out side the river mouth and were treated to great vis. Friday Ryan and I had around 30 feet. Saturday the vis was about the same and Keith joined us for a dive, but Saturday afternoon ZKY took us out to Bull Rock and the vis was truely the best I have ever seen on the North Coast (Ben you missed out!). We planned the dive and dove our plan to the T in what was incredible vis on an awesome reef. If only we had seen a whale or Great White shark :D

Sunday Zinmaker and I took my boat out just outside the mouth of the Albion river and were treated to 40' foot of vis that deteriorated to about 20' by the end of the dive. Our dive included just about every common type of nudie and was full of larger fish. Felt great to be in the aquarium we call the Pacific Ocean.

Driving up the Albion River is quit an experience and I wished I would have had my camera with me, but we were tuning one of my friends boats so the tour was unplanned. The trees and life both in and around the river make the place very special, and somewhere I plan to return too.

I was one of the divers in Albion. We did a few dives right out side the river mouth and were treated to great vis. Friday Ryan and I had around 30 feet. Saturday the vis was about the same and Keith joined us for a dive, but Saturday afternoon ZKY took us out to Bull Rock and the vis was truely the best I have ever seen on the North Coast (Ben you missed out!). We planned the dive and dove our plan to the T in what was incredible vis on an awesome reef. If only we had seen a whale or Great White shark :D

Thanks for rubbing it in!

Maybe next time...

Wow, 80' vis is awesome. Sounds like it was a really good trip! I am glad you guys had a good time. I wanted to go, but ended up teaching a class in Monterey. We only had about 20' at the Breakwater with swarms of Jellyfish.

Kudos Eric to a successful event.

Real nice to be able to dive, and go from one pinnacle to the next, with the stellar vis we had. Yes lots of nudis I like the Hermisssendas, Doronas and the largest Clowns and Diaululas I’ve ever seen. Even enjoyed watching the star fish attack the box crab, however not as vigorous as the feeding frenzy from the night before. Better vis than some tropical dives I've been on, so what if the water temp was only 48 didn't notice any surge or current on lake pacific till we finished rounding the second pinnacle then it was just barely noticeable. Thanks for taking me out on your boat Peter always a pleasure diving with you!

Heh, I can't say I'm surprised to hear these reports...I've just gotten back from a week at Bodega Bay and topside conditions were just freakishly clear and calm - I figured the diving had to be just amazing.

Back
Top Bottom