HUMOR: How do these people survive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I travel all the time in my job, which is a good thing seeing as I'm a truck driver:stupid:
About 2 months ago I was rolling down I-75 near Macon Georgia when a guy in a car passes me, gets about 1/2 mile ahead and suddenly stops in the left lane {no he didn't pull off the road} he then gets out of his car goes to the trunk gets something out gets back in and drives off.
Darwin award? I don't think so. someone that stupid couldn't have evolved.

A couple I have heard :

A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead all work at the same office for a female boss who always goes home early.
"Hey, girls," says the brunette, "let's go home early tomorrow. She'll never know."

So the next day, they all leave right after the boss does. The brunette gets some extra gardening done, the redhead goes to a bar, and the blonde goes home to find her husband having sex with the female boss! She quietly sneaks out of the house and returns at her normal time.

"That was fun," says the brunette. "We should do it again sometime."

"No way," says the blonde. "I almost got caught."
----------------------------
Over a gynecologist's office: "Dr. Jones, at your cervix."
On a plumber's truck: "We repair what your husband fixed."
Door of a plastic surgeon's office: "We can help you pick your nose!"
On a maternity room door: "Push. Push. Push."
At an optometrist's office: "If you don't see what you're looking for, you've come to the right place."

I have a great one about things not to say to a naked bloke - unappropriate for here though - email me if you want a copy (abbywilson@blueyonder.co.uk)

Honest, the young lady went looking for a calculator! When I suggested she just try it in her head she said "I really don't know how you people can do that!" Employee of the Month material for sure.

I always try to keep 4 pennies in my pocket. Whenever I buy something that's like $1.27 or $2.78, I can give them 2 or 3 pennies [respectively]. They stare at the money for a second before the punch in the exact amount I gave them and get this surprised look on their face when it comes back .25. Once [with the .27 example] they were still confused until they started grabbing the change and realized it was 3 quarters.

I've had times when I've given someone $21.03 for something that was $15.78 and they have actually repeated the price to me.
"Yes, I know... please just type in the amount..."
"Wow... $5.25! Here's your change!"
"Thanks... and here's your sign" [I loved that post Sunshine!]

I also _really_ like this smiley! :stupid:

A friend and I were doing a night dive at a lovely beach in Maui.

This is a beach where weddings and sunset romantic dinners are often held. Some poor guy has to get all 'duded' up and set up a couple of tables with linen tables cloths, a gas hot plate, all the trimmings etc.. to serve dinner to a couple of rich folks...

So, we arrive and are gearing up... and, we are trying to be respectful of the the folks who are having their romantic moments... we cut a wide path around their tables, enter the water quietly, and are careful about our lights.

We have a great dive! see all kinds of cool stuff.. some lobster and crabs, a bearded cusk eel, some morays out feeding... an hour later we return to shore...

The diners are enjoying their coffee, and my friend and I are getting out of the water, trying to get the snot off our faces, slick the hair back, coordinate all our gear, not fall in the sand... nor stumble too much... but again, trying to be respectful of the diners... wh try to slip quietly up the path....

One of the chef/waiters comes running after us... "Excuse me, but my guests would like to ask you some questions, if you don't mind."

I double check to make sure I don't have snot smeared all over anything...

As we approach the table, (we're still dripping) We notice them sitting there in very formal attire. I'm still wondering how the woman managed to walk in the sand in stilletto heels...they ask us:
So were you diving?
What do you breath down there?
Do you use lights out there?
Do the fish mind you shining lights at them? Can you talk underwater?

We finally take our leave and stumble up the path, as we are breaking down our gear, they appear and wait for their limo, which was too long to make the turn at the beach drop off point..They ask us how often we dive. My friend says almost every day, since he now makes his living at it. They stare at us blankly and say How do you do that?

My friend and I still chuckle over our late night encounter. We should have had two signs!

Water related anyway.
We used to drive out of NYC Friday afternoons in the summer to the first exit off the Palisades parkway, there is a nice marina there and farther along a picnic tables on a beach! We would watch the trains heading north and barbecue on our Hibachi. One day a young guy pulls up in a new red sports car and parks it on the small beach right in our view. He has trouble getting the car on the beach where he thinks it ought to be, which should have been a tipoff. He gets out and shoots a couple rolls of film of the car and starts to leave. Which eventually led to about twenty people getting messily involved in extracting this guy and his borrowed car. It was outdoor dinner theater for us. I was only sorry we didn't have a camera.

Thought of this thread as soon as it happened:

So I was at a local sports store that is right across the street from me renting some tanks for a dive on Sunday, as I get the two tanks to the counter to check out, the guy asks me if I'm going scuba diving. I told him no- parachuting- he looked at me and said, well what are you renting these for? Here's your sign.

I have been enjoying this thread for a while now. Thanks to all that have contributed and given me a smile. As a High School Teacher I need about 230 signs per semester... As a matter of fact there is one thing that gets on my nurses year after year, so much so that I now teach a lesson on this subject.
A student will arrive early and desire to begin a conversation with me. They walk right up and ask "What are we doing today?" I give some smart ass response "I don't know about you, but I'm breathing." Some day I'll have the students line up in single file from my desk out into the hall and then tell them the lesson one person at a time until the bell rings. The point is that some people never learn how to begin a conversation, and instead of considering the context of the situation they simply blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. So I instruct my classes on how to find good conversational topics for given situations. When they enter the room the smarter kids have a goal "Make friends with the teacher", and this is a good goal. It will serve them well the rest of their lives. "Make the boss my friend, make friends with the police officer that just pulled me over, (this one amazed my son and his friends the other night when I did not get a ticket) make friends with the waitress that will bring me my food, make friends with the bosses secretary (after all the secretary is the real authority)". The agenda is good the approach is poor. Try asking the teacher what he did over the weekend?, what are your vacation plans?, seen any good movies? read any good books? Etc.
This is what I have been seeing in many of the posts on this thread. And though the people sure seem to need a sign, they are just trying to have casual conversation on a subject that they think you would like to talk about. After all you have all the gear. Your sign seems to say "this person knows about . . ." I'm sure we all have many topics we know a lot about, and many others that we are quit ignorant about. Starting a conversation in unfamiliar territory is risky to say the least. Getting too many smart ass responses will cause people to stop taking the risk.
Now that I have gone on about this much too long, I'll justify my being a smart ass by pointing out that I also explain to my students (all 230 twice a year) that I want to tell everyone all at once what we will be learning, and that I would like them to get to know me as a person. I also warn them that smart ass remarks will be the order of the day to remind people to practice "Brown nosing" when they get it wrong.
My point is this if we just give the smart ass response all the time people will begin to associate diving with smart ass, or teaching, or what ever. In the case of teaching it is probably justified, but I have read too many friendly words of advice to want to stereo type divers that way. So, smile, wave, add a story to the "Give'm a sign" list. Just don't make them feel as stupid as they sound or we wind up with people afraid to talk to strangers. This world is already too cold and unfriendly.
I'm a professional photographer gone teacher. When doing location shooting I'm always asked stupid questions. "Are you taking a picture?" "No, I'm leaving this one right here, it would be a shame to take it when so many other people might want it." Or (ignoring the stupidity of the conversational introduction) "Would you like to know how I'll make this picture a work of art?"
Sorry if this came off sounding to preachy. I realy do like all of your stories. Thanks again.

Thanks, Daffyd!

I too am guilty of the quick sarcastic response to "stupid" questions, and your point that they are really just conversation starters is well made.

I'm generally not inclined to particpate in casual conversations with strangers (my partner is!), but one thing I've noticed since 9/11 - lots of people are having friendly conversations while waiting in line at airports. And I do mean friendly - I've heard very little grouching about the increased security measures. It's a pleasant side effect, one I hope continues.

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

Originally posted by scuba-sass
And I do mean friendly - I've heard very little grouching about the increased security measures. It's a pleasant side effect, one I hope continues.

I've noticed that most security grouching has surfaced as sarcastic joking... all in good fun. When I travelled to florida in january, I was pulled out of line and my bag searched. The guy doing the searching was quite friendly and we joked about some of the stuff I had in the bag.

Other stuff was when they finished searching a little old lady, and I turned to my mother and said "watch out... the LOLLO must have made threats again". Sure enough, they pulled my mom aside to be searched. The guy was quite friendly, so I asked if there had been threats by the "Little Old Lady Liberation Organization". :)

On a recent Domestic flight for a scuba vacation, the fellow assigned to random searches at the gate was looking pretty bored. The ticket collectors weren't sending him anyone. So, he made eyecontact with me, and called me over. Here's the Karma part...

When Lydia and I packed our carryons, I carried the Reg bag, with a minimal amount of other "stuff". Lyd carried this HUGE carryon, with everything but the kitchen sink. Wouldn't you know that on our walk thru the terminal, I had offered to switch bags, 'cause hers was so heavy.

I like to think of it as good Karma, 'cause I had a really nice chat with the security guy while he went thru all that stuff! He also deserves big Kudos for making it all fit back in!

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom