hydration - is drinking water enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania

Cousin Itt
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As we all know proper hydration is a key element in avoiding DCS. I generally drink a lot of mineral water but when diving I even drink more (3 liters per day). Lately I read some opinions that mineral water is not enough because it cleans the body of minerals and electrolytes so we should also drink some juices or even coca cola.
But I drink mainly bottled mineral water which (at least according to labels) is enriched with the most important electrolytes - Ca, Mg, Na and K.
So - can I keep on drinking mineral water or are such opinions as the one presented above true?
Mania

You may want to check with DandyDon. I recall that he had something to say about "good" water.

Laurens

mania:
As we all know proper hydration is a key element in avoiding DCS. I generally drink a lot of mineral water but when diving I even drink more (3 liters per day). Lately I read some opinions that mineral water is not enough because it cleans the body of minerals and electrolytes so we should also drink some juices or even coca cola.
But I drink mainly bottled mineral water which (at least according to labels) is enriched with the most important electrolytes - Ca, Mg, Na and K.
So - can I keep on drinking mineral water or are such opinions as the one presented above true?
Mania

The body's main need is water.

Problems can develop when you feel thirsty, and instead of water, soda pop, coffee, or alcohol-containing beverages are taken. These beverages contain water, but they are actually dehydrating fluids. Not only do they eliminate the water contained in them, but they also cause you to lose further amounts of water from your body's reserves!

Gatorade & similar, if drunk in quantity by non-athletes tend to overload the body esp the kidneys.

The following is a quote from one of the "About" pages, I can't copy the exact link.

It's really not necessary to replace losses of sodium, potassium and other electrolytes during exercise since you're unlikely to deplete your body's stores of these minerals during normal training. If, however, you find yourself exercising in extreme conditions over 5 or 6 hours (an Ironman or ultramarathon, for example) you will need to add a complex sports drink with electrolytes. Athletes who don't consume electrolytes under these conditions risk overhydration (or hyponatremia). The most likely occurence is found in the longer events (five hours or more) when athletes drink excessive amounts of electrolyte free water, and develop hyponatremia (low blood sodium concentration).

The problem is that drinking a lot of water means also peeing a lot and - as I understood - this may end up in cleaning the body of electrolytes which are as needed as water itself for the proper functioning of the body.
According to what you quoted - mineral water should be in fact enough unless I do really hard work uw (which I don't).
Mania

Normal water has always worked for me. I do try to eat more foods rich in electrolytes like bananas and lean on the salt shaker a little harder for other foods. Haven't had a problem yet.

Normal water works fine.. you get more than enough electrolytes in the foods you eat. Drinking distilled water would be bad, but typical spring water or mineral water (they call it that for a reason) is good. Don't even worry about it.

What about Gatorade since it is supposedly high in electrolytes ? I'm no expert so I could be waaaay off on this one.

On edit: Gatorade & similar, if drunk in quantity by non-athletes tend to overload the body esp the kidneys.

Doc is this true ?

Lil' Irish Temper:
What about Gatorade since it is supposedly high in electrolytes ? I'm no expert so I could be waaaay off on this one.

On edit: Gatorade & similar, if drunk in quantity by non-athletes tend to overload the body esp the kidneys.

Doc is this true ?
For questions like this I go to my favorite diving physiologist, Dr. Jolie Bookspan. In her book Health and Fitness in Plain English, she says about sports drinks:

“The bit of salt in these drinks stimulates thirst, then makes you retain the water you drink. The sugar content in sport drinks allows more water absorption through the intestine . . . ”

From personal preference, I mostly use plain water or lemonade. I think the main thing is to take in plenty of fluids that don’t contain the classic dehydrators of alcohol or caffeine. Peeing a lot in those circumstances (especially if it’s pale or clear) should imply that you are hydrated.

I’d be surprised if mineral water (or a sports drink) was a problem, unless someone drank only that and ate nothing.

I defer however, to Doctor Deco's anticipated clarification.

Lil' Irish Temper:

Doc is this true ?

At least one other poster agreed when this was discussed on a previous thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=972350&postcount=12

and another:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=913660&postcount=21

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom