hydration - is drinking water enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
It's true. Caffeine is a diuretic, this is well known.

Yes and no.

They used to think that caffeine was a severe diuretic. Recent studies have shown that it is a minor diuretic. So minor as to be insignificant for people with normal consumption.

From "Runners World", Amby Burfoot, _Drink to Your Health_ (summer, 2003): "The truth about caffeine: However, research conducted in the last 2 years has reversed the age-old wisdom that caffeinated beverages are diuretics. Actually, to be more precise, the research confirmed that caffeinated beverages are diuretics--to the same degree as plain water. You drink a lot of water, you need to go potty. Same with caffeinated beverages, no more, no less. "

3dent:
Yes and no.

They used to think that caffeine was a severe diuretic. Recent studies have shown that it is a minor diuretic. So minor as to be insignificant for people with normal consumption.

From "Runners World", Amby Burfoot, _Drink to Your Health_ (summer, 2003): "The truth about caffeine: However, research conducted in the last 2 years has reversed the age-old wisdom that caffeinated beverages are diuretics. Actually, to be more precise, the research confirmed that caffeinated beverages are diuretics--to the same degree as plain water. You drink a lot of water, you need to go potty. Same with caffeinated beverages, no more, no less. "
Huh. That's interesting.

I know a 16 oz cup of coffee makes me pee more than a 16 oz bottle of water.

Rick Inman:
Ha! I choose to believe the studies that best fit what I want to believe in the first place. :D

//snip//

Latte.... mocha.... espresso.... coffee...cappuccino..... :eyebrow:

You missed a big one: Coffee drinkers are happier, better adjusted people :wink:

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/caffsui.htm

jonnythan:
Huh. That's interesting.

I know a 16 oz cup of coffee makes me pee more than a 16 oz bottle of water.

I agree on this one. I pee more after drinking coffee then anything else I have drank.

3dent:
Yes and no.

Glossary:
Diuretic (Diuretics)
An agent increasing urine flow, causing the kidneys to excrete more than the usual amount of sodium, potassium and water.

I never heard that water is diuretic.

The degree to which coffee is diuretic also depends on the customs in each country.
Some countries drink it very strong while others drink it weak, more like tea.
I normally take my coffee black and strong and am sure that 50ml of coffee produces much more than 50ml of urine.

I'm no expert by any means, but I do have a couple of thoughts.

First, I understand that gatorade replenishes electrolytes better than water, but doesn't hydrate as well. My solution (when I'm being particular, which is rare) is to compromise by drinking a 50/50 mix of gatorade and water. It hydrates better than gatorade, and replenishes electrolytes better than water.

As for caffeine, I understand it is a diuretic, but it seems to me that the degree to which a drink that contains it hydrates or dehydrates depends on the ratio of water to caffeine. If I drink a 2 litre bottle of water with 10mg of caffeine in it, that'll probably have a net hydration effect, where a 10ml cup of water with the same amount might very well cause me to expel more water than the drink contained. Therefore, I have to suspect that the size and strength of your caffenated beverage would have a significant role in it's effect. If in doubt, drink a glass of water along with it or go without. Really, if you're worried about being dehydrated, a cuppa shouldn't be your first choice anyhow. That said, if you stay reasonably well hydrated as a rule, a double mug of coffee probably won't send you to the chamber.

MSilvia:
Even beer?

Hmm, guess i'll have to perform an experiment on this theory tonite ..... again.

Geee
As far as coffee goes - guys in italy it's always served with the glass of water - there must be a reason in it. OK, I'm talking about real coffe not the brown water they serve in the US.
But my question was not about coffee - the fact that it's diuretic is more or less generally obvious.
My question was mainly based on the opinions I read here at home that drinking only water will keep a diver hydrated but will also couse loosing the electrolytes, so simply water drinking is not enough.
And I would love to know whether this is true or not
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom