hydration - is drinking water enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
It's true. Caffeine is a diuretic, this is well known.
Agreed. The question is how strong the effect is. Another poster was claiming that it is a diuretic of such strength that you not only excreted the water volume of the coffee, but other water in addition.

jonnythan:
I know a 16 oz cup of coffee makes me pee more than a 16 oz bottle of water.
Ahhhh, but does it cause you to pee more than 16 ounces? (I'll leave the experiment to you, as I don't want to have to explain to everyone on the dive boat why I'm taking a graduated cylinder with me each time I go to the head) :wink:

My experience is that coffee is a net hydrator. As Mania points out, that's probably because I'm drinking the brown flavored water popular in the US :wink:

As with the question of whether water or some other liquid is best, there are lots of opinions and few studies.

Charlie99:
My experience is that coffee is a net hydrator. As Mania points out, that's probably because I'm drinking the brown flavored water popular in the US :wink:
Because it is only the caffeine that is the diuretic, not the coffee itself. And because a shot of espresso has less caffeine than a cup of coffee (fact), then I should stick with the latte or mocha!
Nice... :eyebrow:

Does no-caffine, but carbonated, pop produce adverse effects? I've always wondered since pop is always off-limits in these discussions.

Kauaiguy:
Does no-caffine, but carbonated, pop produce adverse effects? I've always wondered since pop is always off-limits in these discussions.

Eliminating caffeine is good because you eliminate the diuretic but carbonated drinks in general should be avoided when you need to re-hydrate as people tend to drink less than they really need. Carbonation causes stomach bloating. Some people recommend dilution of carbonated drinks to half-strength.

There is also a small penalty in terms of tooth decay as carbonated drinks are more acidic.

Hello readers:

I believe that most of the responders had the right idea. It is basically drinking enough water that you have a net gain. Water or weak coffee will result in a gain while strong coffee will result in a water loss.

It is important to recall that hydration of tissue requires several hours. A glass of water a few minutes before the dive is not sufficient time.

The fluids will aid in tissue perfusion and probably dilute biomacromolecules resulting in an increase in surface tension and the bubble-constricting Laplace pressure. [This is hypothetical and not yet proven experimentally.]

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Thanks Doc a lot. So I'll stay with water as I don't like weak coffee.

Mania

The discussion has become too trivial to really continue. The truth is the air you breath out of the tank is so dry it sucks the moisture out of your body. If you do multiple dives in a day you will need hydration and do not worry about the electrolytes - just drink water. I like the concept of electrolytes but have worried less about it over the years - just keep hydrated and don't worry about how it is done - water is the best. 20 years ago I did 4 dives in one day and ended up in an emergency room where they gave me 2 litres of water. I could not rehidrate myself as I ejected everything that I drank or ate. Not much fun as I thought it was a flu viris. In the end I was so appreciative of the staff at the emergency room in Bothel Washington. Three weeks later I was back to the same place after a bite from a brown recluse spyder - bad month.

El Orans:
You may want to check with DandyDon. I recall that he had something to say about "good" water.

Laurens

I missed this the first time around. I'm sure that natural water is a fine hydrating liquid, but no one has mentioned that bottled water is usually filtered by Reverse Osmosis to Distilled Quality - what I called "empty water". For millenia, our ancestors drank ground water with minerals, and our bodies need these. These can be obtained with more sodium and potassium in food, but I have seen many divers - even three Lubbock instructors - get ill from dehydration until I could talk them into sport drinks.

The traveling diver may avoid drinking liquids on the flights so as to avoid having to wait in line for the airplane head - hell, at my age there is no waiting time - or finding one in a strange airport. On arrival, we hit the bar and consume adult diuretics. Drinking empty water after all that just leaves one's body in need.

I skimp on travel day some, but the night before diving - I start hitting Kool aid with 1/8 teaspoon Morton Lite Salt (sodium & postassium salts) per 2 quarts. I'll drink weak coffee in the morning, but move to Decaf and homemade sport drink - a quart of each or more a day, usually 1 of DeCaf and 2 of spiked kool aid.

I'm sure other approaches work, and people who drink RO water daily probably acquire their salts thru their food more - the body is adaptable. But for those who don't, it can be a risk.

And certainly as the good Doc said above (OMGosh, who would argue with him :dork: ) start hydrating well the day before.

Although I always drink coffee in the AM (even on days I'm diving), I also tend to be well-hydrated. During weekends, I go out at night and just drink lots of soda water (rarely any alcohol) and drink regular water in between dives. And, yes, I pee in my wetsuit... almost every time. Despite that I still have attractive dive buddies when I want.

Hello readers:

The truth is, divers are probably not perspiring considerably underwater. Soccer players, running in the hot sun, can lose electrolytes. This is not the case with recreational divers.

Drink water from the tap or a bottle, or juice if you wish. Be sure that you drink it at least three hours before diving to rehydrate more than simply the blood. I suspect that we worry too much about the “right kind” of water.

The major problem with hydration is often too much alcohol. :drejnd:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom