Hydro Testing on the Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, Casa Mission, it is right beside BA's fill place if I am right. Have not been there since February. Not 100% sure he does hydros but he did on the mainland. I saw XTC tanks in there for hydros from Xcalak so people came a ways.

Edit: I sent an email to find out if Stathis is doing hydros.

Watched him do a hydro yesterday. Air/nitrox up and running. Trimix after DEMA.

He rebuilt my prism topaz al13 valve while I waited.

Quality service and he's well equipped.

Cameron

Cameron
Stathis is a smart guy and he likes having the parts in stock and the tools to do the job. I consider him a friend too.

I think you should talk to Stathis across from Casa Mission. I own 9 tanks in Q. Roo but the cost to rent has been so low that I generally just rent them. I don't know what he is charging but it wasn't anything like $10 on the mainland.

OK, thanks for the tip! I have not done a lot of shore diving yet but when I did it was $15/tank and one place and $10/tank at another.

Cameron
As I understand it, he is also willing to do full fills on AL100's. As I see it this is a good thing for everyone on the island. Not throwing rocks at Meridiano but competition on fills (especially on EAN) can only be a good thing. Lin Mar seemed to be limited in its operation and did not do EAN fills so they were never really a true competitor to Meridiano.

... so I'll be bringing my little compressor ...

I'm curious about the economics of the little compressor. May I ask the brand/model? Realize too that electricity is expensive, and almost any long-term rental (and even many short-term) will have you pay for electricity. I would guess that a small compressor is not very energy efficient (at least not as efficient as a large one).

Also, transporting the tanks to Mexico?

As I understand it, he is also willing to do full fills on AL100's.

What's the name of this shop again, please? I don't see the quoted post from northernone in the thread, and I gather that Stathis is the owner/tech's name, not the name of the shop. The confusion over *-Mission (La Mission on Salas between Melgar and 5a Ave; Casa Mission on 55th Ave between Calle 1 Sur and Juarez) makes the thread hard to follow.

Hopefully they'll hydro my old steel 72s, but if not I guess I'll just have to get some AL80s or whatever. We are contemplating renting an apartment or small house on the island and even at $10 to rent a tank it can add up quickly so I'll be bringing my little compressor. According to SouthWest's baggage policy I'm pretty sure I can bring it on the airplane. It should be interesting doing the "bag drag" with it :wink:

Open up an account with Merdiano's. They have al 80's and even steel tanks. We rent from them a few times a year and an al80 of air is about $2.50. I can't see anything else being that cost efficient.

What's the name of this shop again, please? I don't see the quoted post from northernone in the thread, and I gather that Stathis is the owner/tech's name, not the name of the shop. The confusion over *-Mission (La Mission on Salas between Melgar and 5a Ave; Casa Mission on 55th Ave between Calle 1 Sur and Juarez) makes the thread hard to follow.
There is no name on the shop. It is just a rollup door in the industrial building right across the street from the entrance to Casa Mission. Stathis is the Greek owner.

Not seeing the point in filling your own tanks? Unless you're diving with friends, shore diving or carrying a second??

We are moving there and yea I have tanks but can only think of using them when diving with friends, sidemount or deco diving.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom