Hydro Testing on the Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious about the economics of the little compressor. May I ask the brand/model? Realize too that electricity is expensive, and almost any long-term rental (and even many short-term) will have you pay for electricity. I would guess that a small compressor is not very energy efficient (at least not as efficient as a large one).

Also, transporting the tanks to Mexico?

Since I found out the cost of getting a tank filled then it looks like it would not be necessary to bring the compressor. I have rented a few tanks but the vast majority of my diving there has been boat dives with an op.

What's the name of this shop again, please? I don't see the quoted post from northernone in the thread, and I gather that Stathis is the owner/tech's name, not the name of the shop. The confusion over *-Mission (La Mission on Salas between Melgar and 5a Ave; Casa Mission on 55th Ave between Calle 1 Sur and Juarez) makes the thread hard to follow.

I"m not even sure why I caught that but it's the Casa Mission.

Open up an account with Merdiano's. They have al 80's and even steel tanks. We rent from them a few times a year and an al80 of air is about $2.50. I can't see anything else being that cost efficient.
AL 100's typically filled to 3000PSI instead of 3300PSI. During high season when they get busy 2800 to 2900 PSI fills on all AL tanks is not unusual and due to tank shortages there may be only so many you can reject and still have enough to meet your needs. I am not saying it's malicious but during the high tempo operations standards can get stretched. I think a little competition would be a healthy thing.

AL 100's typically filled to 3000PSI instead of 3300PSI. During high season when they get busy 2800 to 2900 PSI fills on all AL tanks is not unusual and due to tank shortages there may be only so many you can reject and still have enough to meet your needs. I am not saying it's malicious but during the high tempo operations standards can get stretched. I think a little competition would be a healthy thing.

I agree. Is this fill station renting tanks? Din valves? Cost for air fills?

We certainly have had problems with tank availability at Merdiano's during high season and their tanks see so much use that maintenance is often an issue. Most of our dives there are double stage dives so we are using 4 tanks each. We carry service kits and even a tap for the din valve threads with us into the jungle. There are often leaks in the valve or burst disk. Generally we can get them fixed. It would be really nice to have properly serviced tanks with right and left valves.

I agree. Is this fill station renting tanks? Din valves? Cost for air fills?

We certainly have had problems with tank availability at Merdiano's during high season and their tanks see so much use that maintenance is often an issue. Most of our dives there are double stage dives so we are using 4 tanks each. We carry service kits and even a tap for the din valve threads with us into the jungle. There are often leaks in the valve or burst disk. Generally we can get them fixed. It would be really nice to have properly serviced tanks with right and left valves.

I don't think Stathis will have any right/left valve sets but he bought over 400 new tanks as he was moving in last year. He stocks valve parts and rebuilds valves. He is a meticulous guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom