Hydro testing with + rating in Austin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a place to get my steel 95s hydroed. Need to get the plus rating so need a place that can do that. I would prefer a reference to the actual place that does them for a quicker turnaround, but a dive shop that is known to get them + tested would work as well.

Any ideas?

~Jess

Several shops get their tank hydro'd by www.safequip.com

My lds was telling me there would be a 3 week turn around, so I googled hydro and found them. They had my tank done in 24hrs, although they quote everyone 72hrs just to be safe. Not sure if they do the + rating, but it wouldn't surprise me since they normally do high pressure gas cylinders.
One thing to note is that they do visual inspections, but they don't put a sticker on the tank, so you'll still need to take it to a shop for a vis.

DiveWorld did my vis within a day and was pretty inexpensive ($14). They have a special going on for the next 6mo for $1 fills if you have their vis sticker on your tank.

Any shop should be able to accomidate getting a + rating on the tanks. You just have to specifically request it. It is then up to the shop to specifically request it from the hydro place. When we charge someone for a hydro test, it usually includes the visual inspection and a complimentary air fill. If you take it to the hydro place yourself, you still need to have the tank visually inspected. By the time you do all that running around, you will have saved little, if any.

Mac is right about that. After the hydro, then taking it to a shop for vis, I spent exactly the same $. My only savings was that I got it all done in two days vs the 3weeks my lds quoted me. I've been to other shops that quoted 1 wk turn around, so there is certainly the convenience factor if you don't need it done within a couple days.

Simplex Grinnell, which is located off Grand Avenue in Pflugerville, does Hydros, and is where Aquasports sent all their tanks off to. I believe you can walk in and drop them off and cost is like 10-12 bucks a pop. But don't take my word, call them ahead of time to see if they can squeeze you in.

In addition to the two places mentioned it looks like AAA Fire & Safety - Ph# 512-451-4116 might do them as well.

Thanks for the help!

~Jess

We have used AAA for several years with no problem. Just had 6 tanks done in August for $12 each (including a plus hydro on one of them). Turnaround time was a few days. I also use them for fire sprinkler testing and have been happy with their service on all counts.

We use AAA, they seem to be pretty good but haven't used anyone else for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom