I actually got to use my Air Miles...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with everything nwflyboy said. That was not my intent and I am not as knowledgeable about travel rewards as he is. I recently got an email from chase for referring people. I would get extra miles if someone gets the card, but that was not my motivation for the offer. It really is the most flexible reward program because the miles can be transferred to other loyalty programs. I hadn't really thought about the difficulty of redeeming them if you have to plan for exact dates but that would apply to any loyalty program.

Note to all: PLEASE lets not let this forum to devolve into self-serving promotions for credit cards. While lionfish-eater may be sincere in his post above, I feel its appropriate to point out a few facts:

1. The "invite offer" cited above is actually a "referral benefit", with compensation going to the person who sends you the invite, and no extra benefit for you. By following the request above, you get nothing more than you can get on your own (.

SouthWest recently sent me an offer for their Rewards Card that comes with 40,000 miles (points) plus a one-year companion pass and I only have to spend $1000 within the first 3 months (easily accomplished on one trip to Cozumel). Currently I can get a RT flight to CUN from LAX for 10,224 points. That's just under 4 RT flights for (almost) free for two people. I could buy the few additional points needed (896). These cheap flights are available January through April. After that it goes down to about 3 RT flights for two. It does have a $69/year fee so if you don't use it you lose and you have to count that as part of the costs. Plus the companion pass is only good for a year so we will have to force ourselves to take a trip every 3 months :wink: Apparently (from what I just re-read) you get the companion pass even if you don't spend the $1000 within the first 3 months. That gets you the 40,000 points.

Last edited:
I guess that was a special offer you received. I looked all over their site Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Visa Credit Card, but can't find it.

They sent me the offer in an email. It is a Chase card. I guess the trick would be to get them to send you the offer :wink: Their usual offer does not include the companion pass. As much as I would like to feel special I somehow doubt that they actually care that much about me so I think it's just a matter of being on the right list. I do have an account number with SouthWest so maybe that's where they got my email address.

I have a lot of miles all over, Aeroplan, Avios, Alaska, Amex. Hmm all A’s....

Anyway trick is to churn these cards. And you yanks have a much fatter and lucrative game to play. I did have first class tickets until I got a more direct booking on United business.
Alaska used to be able to net the Emirates shower suite until some knob got 10 Alaska credit cards in one day and used the bonus miles to fly on Emirates. The problem was when he blogged about it and it went viral. Arshol$.....So up went the miles required and MBNA cut off the multiple card tap. I was getting 3 cards per year too (25,000 per card app)my wife and me 3 each.So you can see at 150,000 miles a year it was good. Plus each card was only $10 through a cash back site. After the 2nd card approval you would cancel the 1st. And on and on. And at the time a penny spent would get you the bonus. Now it’s $1000.

Back
Top Bottom