I am having 'issues' with my spouse over wanting to continue scuba diving (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Just make sure you don't think you can change someone... start with a diver and go from there (from Personal Experience). Please see attachment :)
Not that pic again...is that thing going to haunt me forever???

I tried dating a couple divers...it didn't work out. They didn't have very good trim and got tired of me always preaching at them about propulsion methods and gas selections.. I ended up having to exercise option #1 on the relationship..

I am hoping to meet someone on the slopes..

O-ring once bubbled...
I am hoping to meet someone on the slopes..

Hmm, I think you're probably hoping to meet someone either in the lodge or on the lifts - meeting someone *on* the slopes tends to be painful...:D

cat once bubbled...

Hmm, I think you're probably hoping to meet someone either in the lodge or on the lifts - meeting someone *on* the slopes tends to be painful...:D
Skiiers are so much cuter than divers...

O-ring once bubbled...

Skiiers are so much cuter than divers...

Unless you meet one of the ones that faceplanted into a tree...

Did you see the darwin award post about the guy that did the on one of the ski-lift poles?

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Unless you meet one of the ones that faceplanted into a tree...

Did you see the darwin award post about the guy that did the on one of the ski-lift poles?
I always wonder if those things are true...but if that one was that would have really sucked...hope it was a double black and he got it over with quickly at least ...

I have the same problem it didnt start that way, me and my husband started the classes together I passed all the way thru the class and he passed the written tests but when it got to the swim part guess what!!!!my husband does not know how to swim and even worst he cannot float either so they could not certify him. I went on and become an advanced open water. now every time I want to go scuba diving I have to rely on a stranger from the boat to be my buddy .. the only thing I could suggest is to see if someone on this board is in your area to become your dive buddy..:( its bad because he has excellent navagation skills and I dont know how to read a compass...oh well :rolleyes:

My wife and I just completed our third class (Nitrox) together recently, but I digress, this is not how it started out. I wanted to dive and she didn't (said her ears bothered her to much), and she was okay with me doing it without her. As time went on however she saw how excited I was to be taking the class she decided to as well, and guess what, she has no more trouble with her ears than I do which is virtually none. I hope he changes his mind when he sees how much you enjoy it. Snorkeling is a good way to begin but it can be hard to clear your ears while snorkeling. Best of luck, and DSAO. :thumb:

There is a lot of give and take in every long term relationship, married or not. What's most important is your kid, a close second should be both you and your spouse...yes, that's right...both of you on the same level with the same value in the relationship, regardless of who makes more money or has more time to give.
Being the non-diver in my relationship, I can understand your husbands point of view, but I think there is a way for both of you to be happy about your new passion as long as there is compromise from both sides.
I'm not sure whether I will ever be a diver, mostly because my cousin died earlier last year from a pulmonary embolism which circumstances are still uncertain of the cause. However, a large portion of my family has assumed her death was diving related and due to an inherited blood clotting disorder. Whether I will ever find out for sure is unlikely, but having to hide or defend a hobby kind of takes all the fun out of it.
Usually, my boyfriend is pretty accepting of the pressure from my family, even though he consitently implies (sometimes not so subtly :wink: ) that sharing a hobby would be good for our relationship.
While I sometimes fear becoming a diving widow, he takes my point of view into consideration and it really hasn't caused any major issues thus far. Besides, I wouldn't want him to give up diving because part of makes him so attractive to me is that he gets so passionate about the things he becomes interested in...now as long as he stays as passionate about our relationship as about diving...we are in good shape :wink:
Bottom line, there has to be some compromising, but if you start sacrificing the things that make you YOU, your relationship will suffer...now how much is THAT worth$$$?

Back
Top Bottom