I bought the reg from a LDS- like I'm sposed to!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to close this out!
I went back and saw the technician at the shop, he checked it and said the IP was 126 and said that they normally set them at 128? He then went on to explain that I don't need more than 130 PSI because that is enough to supply the regulator with enough pressure to work against the water pressure down to more than 160 feet- I'm thinking that he cannot mean what I think he means and put on my best "Oh, now I get it face"!
Anyway, I politely said that I wanted it set to factory spec which is 135 and that's what he did. We didn't touch the second stage.
What a difference!! Now it breathes the way I expect a reg of this caliber should and I can't wait to get it in the water, so a happy ending but still underwhelming as far as my first reg purchase from an LDS in 10 years and probably the last time they will see me in that store!

Reactions: gbf
Just to close this out!

No thread is ever really closed (well unless a mod closes it). LOL

I find it odd that 9 psi would make a major difference in perceived breathing effort on regulator with a good balanced second stage. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in why. Many cold water divers use a lower IP to help prevent freeflow.

Glad you are happy with the regulator.

It is true that most good regulators can perform very well with an IP in the 125-130 range. One of my MK5s is at 125, has been for several years, and will stay there until it starts to creep or leak and I need to rebuild it. But the 2nd stage has got to be adjusted for a specific IP to perform it's best.

The statement that IP is depth-dependant is a bit nutty, but there is a grain of truth in that too. IP adjusts relative to ambient, so 125 PSI will be 125 over ambient pressure at the surface, 40 ft, 160 ft, or at the bottom of the ocean. This means that the pressure drop into the 2nd stage, which is fairly crucial in terms of 2nd stage adjustment and subsequent performance, is constant regardless of depth. But.......the grain of truth is that at more extreme depths, the added pressure in the hose will allow a bit more flow. I don't know if it's noticeable, all other things being equal.

I've heard way nuttier things about IP from dive shop techs. One guy once told me that I should set my MK2 to a low IP because, and I quote, "that little guy can't handle" a high IP. I set it to 145 or so with a full tank, so that as it drops throughout the supply range (unbalanced piston) it ends up still above 125 at the end of the dive.

Just to close this out!
I went back and saw the technician at the shop, he checked it and said the IP was 126 and said that they normally set them at 128? He then went on to explain that I don't need more than 130 PSI because that is enough to supply the regulator with enough pressure to work against the water pressure down to more than 160 feet- I'm thinking that he cannot mean what I think he means and put on my best "Oh, now I get it face"!
Anyway, I politely said that I wanted it set to factory spec which is 135 and that's what he did. We didn't touch the second stage.
What a difference!! Now it breathes the way I expect a reg of this caliber should and I can't wait to get it in the water, so a happy ending but still underwhelming as far as my first reg purchase from an LDS in 10 years and probably the last time they will see me in that store!
good stuff. Sounds like they have a quirky way of doing things, but at the end of they day, they made it right and made sure to give you exactly what you wanted. All's well that ends well. I'd give em another shot. Seems their service is good, and IMO good service is the best reason to frequent an establishment. Also keep in mind, a lot of specialty stores will hook you up if you ask. I just got into scuba (jumped in with both feet. But still quite green) so I haven't had any experiences with the LDS in my area, but any time I go to a local gun shop or motorcycle gear shop, I'll just ask if they can hook me up if I buy a bunch of stuff and/or pay cash, 90% of the time they'll do something. Even if it's just covering tax, still puts $50 in your pocket when you spend $500. Never hurts to ask

After years of tinkering with various regs that I bought s/hand or on-line I had a feeling that just for once I wanted to try going mainstream for my new primary regulator.
What I mean is that I wanted to do what most people do, buy a nice reg from an authorized LDS dealer so I didn't have to think about about setting it up, just buy it - trust the "authorized" dealership technician to set it up correctly and leap forth without a care into the briny!

I did something similar some years back, got tired of constantly fussing with regulators and just wanted something I could count on without having to overhaul it. So I bought my wife a Legend and myself a lowly Titan XL.

Well, my wife's Legend has been absolutely perfect. it was purchased at the LDS some years back when they were doing the free octopus kit. The price was discounted. The regulator was ordered, arrived, took it home, no problems. My wife has loved it since day one. It has required no service and no adjustment and I think next year will be the 7th or 8th season, not sure exactly.

I was so impressed with the out of the box Legend, I went looking for a Titan XL. I found a NIB on Ebait with a Buy It Now for $250. I contacted the seller, she told me was won as a door prize, had no use for it. I bought it. I then went back to my LDS feeling guilty and bought another brand new, matching second stage. It has been rock solid, zero maintenance and in it's seventh year.

The Legend and Titan XL have both been absolutely zero issue regulators. Slowly, these two regulators, have risen in my esteem until today I have no problem telling all of the SP109 people (which includes me), the Titan XL is a better regulator. The only other regulator I have dived more over the last years with similar positive results, just grab and go, is my PRAM HPR.

N

After a slightly rocky start I think it's going to be a good reg and an excuse to get back to Cozumel ASAP.

"I find it odd that 9 psi would make a major difference in perceived breathing effort on regulator with a good balanced second stage." Maybe regs are like wine- some people may not notice much difference between the two but for me it was like night an day!

Anyway, I'm happy and If it wasn't for the Kraken kickstarter launch in a few days I wouldn't be looking at regs again for a while, but that one is another story!!!!

Thanks for the follow-up on the outcome!
I feel a bit like I am part of Alice in Wonderland, and this is 'Curiouser and curiouser.' It appears that the technician stated, or implied, that they actually did set the IP when they sold it, AND that they purposefully set it low. How 'interesting'.
Anyway, I politely said that I wanted it set to factory spec which is 135 and that's what he did. We didn't touch the second stage. What a difference!! Now it breathes the way I expect a reg of this caliber should
This is truly impressive. I would not expect a change like that to have any discernible effect on perceived breathability. I need to go try that tomorrow at the shop.
so a happy ending but still underwhelming as far as my first reg purchase from an LDS in 10 years and probably the last time they will see me in that store!
Sounds like a good plan. I doubt I would go back, either, unless I needed some kind of bizarre experience to shake up an otherwise dull day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom