I drank the GUE Fundies Kool-Aid and survived!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't have decent buoyancy, Fundies is going to be a waste. Too hard to watch the skills, much less attempt them if you can't park yourself at a specific depth. Once you're stable in the water, doing a class like Fundamentals can be a huge help in moving your diving forward in a positive manner.

Being comfortable with the gear you'll use in the class (10-20 dives) might also really help.

That's a good point.

If you don't have decent buoyancy, Fundies is going to be a waste. Too hard to watch the skills, much less attempt them if you can't park yourself at a specific depth.

Being comfortable with the gear you'll use in the class (10-20 dives) might also really help.

I agree - staying still in the water was the most difficult part of the course. Of course, if you have that down pat, then most skills are going to be a breeze. So somewhere in between :)

As far as gear, I was *very* happy that I'd spent the last couple of months getting used to diving a dry suit as well as getting my weighting, and particularly weight distribution, fairly close to ideal. That freed up a lot of "CPU Capacity".

There were of course still a few issues with my gear set-up, but nothing I felt made me struggle after changing. Bob was very helpful in going over every set of gear, making suggestions for changes and help implement the changes.

Henrik

In my opinion, and I'd like to hear Sam's on this too, but I would recommend you take Fundies sooner than later.

It's easier to learn good things sooner rather than having to re-learn or break bad habits later on.

Ideally, it's best to take fundies early so you do not develop too many bad dive habits but I believe everyone has to come to fundies on their own terms and in their own time. Factors like cost, time, work and personal commitments have to be considered.

For beginner who cannot take fundies right now, I strongly recommend just hovering at the student platform (25-30 ft) of your local quarry or a swimming pool until you are comfortable with hanging in the water column without finning, just hanging in a horizontal position. Don't recommend doing this in the open ocean as currents would seriously task load a beginner.

If you are comfortable doing that then slowly task load yourself while trying to stay in the water column without changing your depth keeping your trim and buoyancy. By task loading I mean starting out slowly, reaching and touching all your various D-rings, your D-ring, not your buddy's crotch strap D-ring. :shakehead:

Clip and unclip your reg to your D-rings, clip and unclip your SPG. Do all this without compromising your trim and your buoyancy. I assume the diver is diving a DIR rig with the D-rings and the bolt snaps. Switch from your primary reg to your octo without changing your position in the water.

I can go on and on but you get the general idea. You will need these skills to do S-drills, valve drills, deploying SMB and donating your reg to your buddy. Once you have your trim and buoyancy down you can concentrate on the drills the instructor will throw your way.

Last edited:
Bob was very helpful in going over every set of gear, making suggestions for changes and help implement the changes.

Henrik

Yes, good point, Henrik, which I forgot in my initial post.

Bob and Steve spent half of the first day at Dutch doing equipment modifications to everyone's rig. They made suggestions on how to streamline each student's rig. I did not recognize my rig when Bob was done with it, but I love how streamline it is now.

Last edited:
Someone just pointed out to me that this thread has over 880 views since it first posted (yesterday) but only 63 posts so we have quite an audience. :idk:

Someone just pointed out to me that this thread has over 880 views since it first posted (yesterday) but only 63 posts so we have quite an audience. :idk:

they want pictures of the crotch grab... :lotsalove:

I'm a pretty new diver and would like to eventually take GUE Fundies, so I'm reading and paying attention to the thread. :popcorn:

A little late to the thread but Congrats to the whole team! I'm a new diver, still getting situated in my drysuit. I was already considering taking Fundies (or Essentials) in a few months and reading this has made me even more motivated! I've heard great things about Bob...and hope that I'm lucky enough to take it with him. Also glad to hear that we might have another Fundies instructor here on the West coast!

Quick question: Prior to the class, had you two dove together often? Or did you meet during the class? Just wondering...in case I should start diving with like-minded buddies who are considering a class. Thanks!

I promise not to run away.
:kiss2::kiss2:!!

I'm sure many of the frequent fliers here (kathydee, TS&M) have numerous stories about how they could just hop into a dive with someone they've never dived with before and still be completely comfortable.

Just a clarification, Lynne (who is also my hero) definitely has more stories than I do. I'm really new here. But I am truly amazed at how welcoming the DIR divers are both here in California and also in the Philippines & from what you all are saying I suspect and hope this is the norm among other DIR divers throughout the USA and world!

Last edited:

You do realize that that's just your fan club right Sam?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom