I drank the GUE Fundies Kool-Aid and survived!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only say that I've had the exact opposite experience. I've met nothing but nice people willing to chat, help, explain without judgement - as long as I showed an interest in learning and improving.

Besides, GUE and other similar agencies seem to be working very hard to "distance" themselves from both the term DIR as well as the DIR zealots.

It is interesting though, how even in a generally "congratulatory" thread like this, some can't resist the urge to dig out the old grudges. Maybe it's time to let it go? I for one don't allow people I dislike to have that kind of power over me. Just a thought :shrug:

Whether "Right" or "Wrong" :wink: have fun and be safe in your diving.

Henrik

Henrik - You know this cause I discussed it with you.

I resisted posting about the fundies class initially or mentioning that I even took fundies but friends knew I took the class and at their urging of not keeping my experience in the closet, I posted. I realized that by not posting about the class, it would appear I was ashamed or embarrassed about being associated with GUE, and that is clearly not the case.

I honestly do not understand the animosity and it may just be my naive newbie experience in the diving community. I do not enjoy heated confrontations so I do not participate and I avoid discussions of politics and religion for this very reason.

]Henrik - You know this cause I discussed it with you.

I resisted posting about the fundies class initially or mentioning that I even took fundies but friends knew I took the class and at their urging of not keeping my experience in the closet, I posted. I realized that by not posting about the class, it would appear I was ashamed or embarrassed about being associated with GUE, and that is clearly not the case.

Yep - I know :)

And the "slight" thread drift nicely demonstrates the reason for your hesitation. I'm happy that you did start the thread though. I too had a great time - learned a ton ... and I ain't runnin' from nuttin' :D

Henrik

Well, if you ain't running I'll stay by your side given I've got a mean upper cut!! :D

I, for one, am very glad you started the thread, Sam. Threads like this are often the first place where SB members who aren't familiar with this system of diving get their curiosity piqued. We haven't had a lot of Fundies reports in the last year or so -- I'm glad you wrote one.

It is interesting though, how even in a generally "congratulatory" thread like this, some can't resist the urge to dig out the old grudges. Maybe it's time to let it go? I for one don't allow people I dislike to have that kind of power over me. Just a thought :shrug:

Henrik

A good point and I apologize to the original poster -- after all this was about a fairly impressive accomplishment that deserves congratulations, not bickering.

And I really was only trying to answer a question about why some people feel the way they do about DIR in general. But you're right, it's out of place in this thread. My apologize and I'm done with that now.

Again, congrats on your passing grade, and may all your dives be memorable one's!

Thank you, Lynne.

I posted with much trepidation so am happy that it was received very well overall.

Been a fan of yours since joining SB last year and admire how you conduct yourself on the board. Your posts are always insightful, informative and encouraging, a true asset to the SB members. Your commitment to dive training is admirable.

Given our mutual love of the cenotes, I do look toward you as an example of where I want to be in my diving future so thank you.

A good point and I apologize to the original poster -- after all this was about a fairly impressive accomplishment that deserves congratulations, not bickering.

And I really was only trying to answer a question about why some people feel the way they do about DIR in general. But you're right, it's out of place in this thread. My apologize and I'm done with that now.

Again, congrats on your passing grade, and may all your dives be memorable one's!

I would bet whoever you encountered had probably never even taken (or passed) a GUE course. There's a ton of wannabes out there that have what they think is the right brand of gear and are pretty mouthy about what great divers they are but most of them never took a GUE course.

No need for apologizes as this original poster is not offended or put off. It was rather civil compared to other threads I've read, so you and I are good.

May we all run across non-judgmental divers in our diving...but we know that is not realistic given humans are flawed by design. :wink:

Good job Sam! It's a great class and thanks for your report.

I recall having a conversation with you about it where we discussed several things. Now you know first hand there is an awful lot of misinformation about GUE/DIR and most of the negative things come from folks who know little about it.

Kingpatzer, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a few jerks. Also, and this isn't meant to be smart ass or a slam, but it truly is your loss if you can't get past that initial contact with some jerk. GUE/DIR is a great stepping stone to better, safer diving.

Clearly, not all GUE trained people are jerks.

Sam I'm really proud of you!! Really!!

:)

WOW! Congrats Sam!!!

:hm: Guess I will really see how bad my skills are when I go to DNY ITTI :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom