I drank the GUE Fundies Kool-Aid and survived!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty new here but definitely agree, from my first introduction to DIR diving I never understood what all the resistance and controversy towards it is about.

First, congrats to the OP for completing your course. Now run away and never look back.

To answer Kathy's question:

Having had some DIR guy tell my 16 year old son, on his first boat dive after OW that he was going to die (his word, not mine) because he and I wer diving incorrectly, didn't have enough training, and were wearing inadequate gear, frankly has firmly set my view of DIR divers.

I've had other experiences with the DIR crowd around here, and while none was as bad as that - to a person they have been condescending, dismissive and flat out rude as they clearly are so much better than anyone else.

The one DIR person I've met who was worth anything was a guy from a few states away who came here for an ice diving class shortly after doing his fundie class.

But given the ratio, I'm pretty sure being a jerk is either a requirement for certification or at least a normal bi-product of being part of that community.

Wow, everyone, thanks for the kind words.

Yes, Hockey, you were the only one to give kisses.

Sloth - If I knew I'd get a decoder ring, I'd have done this ages ago.

Gordon - I think you'll look better in George's shorts than me.

Jasonmh - Shhhhh, you're not suppose to mention eating the young, they learn about that on day 4 of class, now you've spoiled the surprise....sheesh!!! :shakehead:

Ohm - Bummer about whomever you were unfortunate enough to meet at the GUE symposium but I believe it reflects the speaker's insecurity about his own skills and does not reflect GUE's stance. It's probably the Kool-Aid talking. :shocked2:

Brian - Carmen and I would love to come out west again to dive with you and drink more Kool-Aid.

ae3753 - Interesting blog site of yours. Am flattered to be included in your site. Thanks.

Lynne - You're correct, Bob and Steve were honestly pulling for all of us to improve and wanted to help each of us reach our goal.

First, congrats to the OP for completing your course. Now run away and never look back.

To answer Kathy's question:

Having had some DIR guy tell my 16 year old son, on his first boat dive after OW that he was going to die (his word, not mine) because he and I wer diving incorrectly, didn't have enough training, and were wearing inadequate gear, frankly has firmly set my view of DIR divers.

I've had other experiences with the DIR crowd around here, and while none was as bad as that - to a person they have been condescending, dismissive and flat out rude as they clearly are so much better than anyone else.

The one DIR person I've met who was worth anything was a guy from a few states away who came here for an ice diving class shortly after doing his fundie class.

But given the ratio, I'm pretty sure being a jerk is either a requirement for certification or at least a normal bi-product of being part of that community.

I don't have any children and would feel absolutely the same way you felt when that was said to your son during his first OW dive.

I don't believe it's the training, I believe it's a character flaw in that individual to put down another in order to make him feel good about his own shortcomings. I hope for my sake that you're mistaken about it being bi-product of being part of that community.

I love diving and I'd hate to think a form of training would turn my character into any thing less than treating others the way I'd want them to treat me.

Nice report Sam. It pretty much mirrors the DIR-F experience I had several years ago. Great instructors and lots of good information. While I found that a good bit of the class very useful and still use much of it today, I did not find the entire DIR concept to match the way I prefer to dive. Nothing wrong with it but IMO at times it's excessive for my needs. A lot of the animosity towards DIR is not directed to GUE or for that matter many of the current posters HOWEVER there were some real horses rears on this board (and others) in the past who would pretty much trash you unless you dove exactly like they did. I know, I was here and was, for lack of a better word, attacked on several occasions. It left a bad taste in a lot of our mouths for DIR but it really should have been aimed at the particular posters.
While DIR is not for all of us, the class is still well worth taking if for no other reason than to see what truly good divers look like in the water. A truly humbling experience and worth every penny

Sam, I am proud to know you and to have dived with you. Congratulations on getting through the class! I'm sure the next time we dive together, we will have just that much more fun!

Sorry to hear that happened to you. My very first experience out of OW just happened to be with DIR divers too, and I had a completely opposite encounter to yours. These guys were inclusive, patient, loved to dive with new divers, never criticized gear or technique or made snide remarks, and in general were some of the most thoughtful, accommodating and inclusive divers I've met.

Between yours and mine, who's experience is more typical, if either? I don't know, but I do hope that 1) you don't judge an entire organization (and note that "DIR" is NOT by any stretch an organization or united movement) by the actions of one bad apple, and 2) you have the opportunity to come out here and get some dives in with the local DIR crowd; I think we'd have a pretty good shot at changing your perception.

Nice report Sam. It pretty much mirrors the DIR-F experience I had several years ago. Great instructors and lots of good information. While I found that a good bit of the class very useful and still use much of it today, I did not find the entire DIR concept to match the way I prefer to dive. Nothing wrong with it but IMO at times it's excessive for my needs. A lot of the animosity towards DIR is not directed to GUE or for that matter many of the current posters HOWEVER there were some real horses rears on this board (and others) in the past who would pretty much trash you unless you dove exactly like they did. I know, I was here and was, for lack of a better word, attacked on several occasions. It left a bad taste in a lot of our mouths for DIR but it really should have been aimed at the particular posters.
While DIR is not for all of us, the class is still well worth taking if for no other reason than to see what truly good divers look like in the water. A truly humbling experience and worth every penny
GUE is not the only agency teaching DIR concept but my personal experience is with GUE. Agree it was extremely humbling and worth every penny.

Sam, I am proud to know you and to have dived with you. Congratulations on getting through the class! I'm sure the next time we dive together, we will have just that much more fun!
Thank you, Dave. I would be honored to dive with you again and know it will just as much fun as my last visit out west.

Now that you are among the elite, will you dive with a dangerous AOW SSI diver, with a jacket style BC, split fins, and Home depot bought clips?

Stop it, Ohm, I am not among the elite, unless your definition of elite is anyone fortunate enough to dive!!!!

No one should ever dive with a dangerous diver so I will not dive with a dangerous diver. If you say yes to all of the questions below, I will dive with you.

• Will you donate your regulator if I needed it underwater?
  • Will you stay by my side and be my buddy, NOT swim off or bolt to the surface when I have enough gas for us both to surface doing all our required ascent stops?
  • Will you dive safe and within the limit of our training?
  • Will we have, discuss and agree on a dive plan that includes enough gas to get us both back to the surface, boat or shore safely before heading into the water?
Am sure I'm leaving out more questions but it's after midnight in London now so I'm sleepy...yawn!!

Congratulations on taking the class. Me and 2 others on SB took the GUE-F last week in High Springs, Florida. It was a fun, stressful, educational and humbling class all rolled into one.

Thanks for the report

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom