I finally got my PRAM wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just reverse the clamp ring screw to the 12 o'clock position rather than 6 o'clock. I had the same issue and that is what I did.

I had thought that the clamp ring had a notch for clearing one of the horns. I know that one of my rings has that feature. But not this one.

So, I rotated the screw to the 3 o'clock position as viewed from the rear.

That also allows me to raise the wing an inch or so. Nothing dramatic but a little higher.

Richard

Some of the later regulators had shorter, fatter horns. On those regulators the clamp ring has to be notched to clear the exhaust horn only. The earlier regulators don't need the notch.

Sorry I missed your question...

I am using an OxyCheq SS Travel Plate (dogbone style) with a HOG 32# wing and bright yellow webbing. The slots in the top of the plate are not horizontal and the shoulder straps don't seem right if they are run straight over the shoulder. So, I have the straps crossed over at the top of the plate and it seems to work ok. This is the same as the ProFit harness on my DSS BP/W.

There is a collision between the wing and the regulator and, of course, the wing is quite low on my back because the regulator is somewhere between my shoulder blades. None of this seems to matter. The inflator hose is long enough to reach even with the wing mounted low.

The regulator clamping band has a screw at the bottom and the threads are overly long. This screw presses against the wing but fortunately in a location where there is a thick rubberized HOG logo patch. I think I'm going to cut the screw.

I'm very happy with the rig but I need more time in the water to see if the trim is correct. I was using an HP 100 and a 20# weight harness for a 7/8mm one piece wetsuit. I'm just slightly underweighted in that I had to swim down. Simply venting the wing didn't make me negative.

I normally use a 6# backplate and sink pretty well with 20# but the 2# travel plate is a little lighter.

FWIW, at $200, that HOG 32# wing is pretty nice.

HOG 32 lb Wing for Single Cylinder Diving

Richard

Per my thread over on vdh, "Nem's Most Excellent Wing/BP Tirade" I have after several years of experimentation with multiple wings and plates come to the conclusion that NO--NO--NO bent tech plate will ever work completely satisfactorily with a double hose regulator. That is why I went to the Freedom Plate and the Oxy Cheq ultralight plate.

The center channel runs into the cans, the clearnece is minimal and interferes with the wing, the tank/regulator/wing wind up being to high for correct breathing and trim. It simply does not work IMO. I have ceased attempting to make it work, it just does not work for me the way I want it to be.

Single tank wing with double hose solutions that work for me:

Oxy Mach V 18/30 with Freedom Plate

Oxy Mach V 18/30 with Oxy Ultra Light Plate

Oxy Mach V 18/30 with military harness

N

Per my thread over on vdh, "Nem's Most Excellent Wing/BP Tirade" I have after several years of experimentation with multiple wings and plates come to the conclusion that NO--NO--NO bent tech plate will ever work completely satisfactorily with a double hose regulator. That is why I went to the Freedom Plate and the Oxy Cheq ultralight plate.

The center channel runs into the cans, the clearnece is minimal and interferes with the wing, the tank/regulator/wing wind up being to high for correct breathing and trim. It simply does not work IMO. I have ceased attempting to make it work, it just does not work for me the way I want it to be.

Single tank wing with double hose solutions that work for me:

Oxy Mach V 18/30 with Freedom Plate

Oxy Mach V 18/30 with Oxy Ultra Light Plate

Oxy Mach V 18/30 with military harness

N

As the Freedom Plate simply isn't available, knowing that it works is interesting but unsatisfying. Maybe someday there might be another production run. Who knows...

I have the OxyCheq UltraLight Plate but I haven't rigged it yet. I kind of like that SS backplate for the distributed weight but having the wing so low on my back isn't a great solution. I can always put a couple more pounds in my harness and try the UltraLight. Maybe tanks weights...

I bought the UltraLight for my grandson but maybe I'll try it first. If it works out, there's a place I can send money and they'll ship me another one.

Richard

Last edited:
Oxy ultralight with Oxy 18 Mach V.

ChisVintageDiverPics2009014.jpg

N

Last edited:
How high is the top of the wing relative to the regulator can? Right now I am about 1/3 the way up with the HOG wing on the SS plate. I can go a little higher but I might as well just change plates. No big deal.

But I would like to set it up properly.

Richard

This is my Freedom Plate with Oxy 30 Mach V. This position sits correctly, regulator is centered between shoulders, wing is centered on my back. Notice how low the tank is and that the lowered upper camband is at the tank crown. This is critical to position the regulator correctly and still allow the wing and plate to center on the diver's back.

DSCF0024.jpg

Leave aside the Freedom Plate issue, this positioning works good and I cannot accomplish it with any bent channel plate. In the previous post, the camera pic, notice the position of the regulator to my shoulders, centered between my shoulders, wing centered on my back. This is the Ultra Light with the Oxy 18 but the Freedom and Mach V 30 sits the same way.

Where does the waist strap fall on your rig? I have mine at my natural waist, perhaps let out your shoulder straps a little to help drop the entire rig? My Freedom Plate has a custom two piece STA that lets the upper camband sit lower than a standard bent tech plate. I was and still do use a modified Dive Rite STA with the "Nemrod Mod" which cuts an additional set of camband slots lower for the upper camband. Why--this allows the tank and regulator to sit lower while allowing the wing and plate to center on the back as they are supposed to.

Since aluminum tanks are light in the rear the "low" tank does not really impact trim, with a negative steel tank, it might, therefore requiring some compensating weight distribution, maybe, maybe not. The largest steels I regularly dive with these rigs are pumped LP Faber 85s and I do not need to re-trim for those.

N

Last edited:
As the Freedom Plate simply isn't available, knowing that it works is interesting but unsatisfying. Maybe someday there might be another production run. Who knows...

I have the OxyCheq UltraLight Plate but I haven't rigged it yet. I kind of like that SS backplate for the distributed weight but having the wing so low on my back isn't a great solution. I can always put a couple more pounds in my harness and try the UltraLight. Maybe tanks weights...

I bought the UltraLight for my grandson but maybe I'll try it first. If it works out, there's a place I can send money and they'll ship me another one.

Richard

Don't worry, there will be another run of freedom plates. I don't know when yet but it will happen. Keep checking SB and VDH and now DMX. I will post something about it when I have more.
I'm waiting to hear from people how they like the new 1/4" aluminum flat back version (no bracket).
I really like my personal one.

Dmx?

Nemrod Mod:

DSCF0269.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom