I finally got my PRAM wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took my PRAM to Monterey (Breakwater) today and used it with an OxyCheq SS Travel Plate and a HOG 32# wing. It worked very well.

I really like the zero effort breathing when I am laying on my back on top of the wing. Somewhat less than no effort...

Thanks to all who have endured my questions over the past few months. I am sure enjoying this regulator!

Richard

Congratulations! Are you "hooked"? How was the vis this last weekend?

I took my PRAM to Monterey (Breakwater) today and used it with an OxyCheq SS Travel Plate and a HOG 32# wing. It worked very well.

I really like the zero effort breathing when I am laying on my back on top of the wing. Somewhat less than no effort...

Thanks to all who have endured my questions over the past few months. I am sure enjoying this regulator!

Richard

Did you use it with a Single or doubles? Im wondering how it fit with the Plate?

I don't know about viz over the weekend, but today, Monday, it was probably 10' or so with a lot of stuff suspended in the water. Now much more than ankle slapping surf.

I just used a single HP 100 with the plate and wing. The harness is something I assembled from bright yellow webbing. It'll keep me awake at night!

One thing I am considering: I think I might change the straight yellow mouthpiece to a bent black mouthpiece like I have on my RAM, I'm guessing it might be a little more comfortable.

I was having a definite problem with my mask leaking. I just bought a new ScubaPro Frameless mask and, while it worked in the pool with the PRAM, I was certainly having problems today. This after using the same Tekna mask for 20 years without a single problem with leaking. I don't know if this is related to the straight mouthpiece and how it may, or may not, distort my upper lip. As I said, the combination worked in the pool but that was without a wetsuit.

I have more work to do but I'm beginning to think the PRAM will be my primary regulator. It's just fun!

Richard

The angled mouthpiece is ok but most are getting a bit stiff and are less than comfortable on long dives.

The reproduction Voit hourglass mouthpieces are however superb with a shorter lenght and a much more normal and comfortable mouthpiece and is my favorite with a double hose. It uses the same wagon wheels so it is a simple switch.

voit mouthpiece

Dito DA's comment, love the Voit repro...and the black one looks good with yellow hoses.

I still prefer the bent USD mouthpiece, the Voit is a close second. The angled mouthpiece just places the hoses at a better and more comfortable angle for me and my teeth in the front are implants thanks to a drunk driver so I CAN tell the difference.

Especially with the plain straight mouthpiece you will find vintage oval and some masks like the AL Atlantis ovals help prevent the mouthpiece from rotating upward, again the built in pain meter I have indicates in the green with a true oval and hurts like----- with a straight mouthpiece combined any sort of low profile mask.

When I use my low profile masks like my Atomic Frameless it is either with a modern single hose or my PRAM with angled USD mouthpiece.

IMG_0652.jpg

N

Did you use it with a Single or doubles? Im wondering how it fit with the Plate?

Sorry I missed your question...

I am using an OxyCheq SS Travel Plate (dogbone style) with a HOG 32# wing and bright yellow webbing. The slots in the top of the plate are not horizontal and the shoulder straps don't seem right if they are run straight over the shoulder. So, I have the straps crossed over at the top of the plate and it seems to work ok. This is the same as the ProFit harness on my DSS BP/W.

There is a collision between the wing and the regulator and, of course, the wing is quite low on my back because the regulator is somewhere between my shoulder blades. None of this seems to matter. The inflator hose is long enough to reach even with the wing mounted low.

The regulator clamping band has a screw at the bottom and the threads are overly long. This screw presses against the wing but fortunately in a location where there is a thick rubberized HOG logo patch. I think I'm going to cut the screw.

I'm very happy with the rig but I need more time in the water to see if the trim is correct. I was using an HP 100 and a 20# weight harness for a 7/8mm one piece wetsuit. I'm just slightly underweighted in that I had to swim down. Simply venting the wing didn't make me negative.

I normally use a 6# backplate and sink pretty well with 20# but the 2# travel plate is a little lighter.

FWIW, at $200, that HOG 32# wing is pretty nice.

HOG 32 lb Wing for Single Cylinder Diving

Richard

The regulator clamping band has a screw at the bottom and the threads are overly long. This screw presses against the wing but fortunately in a location where there is a thick rubberized HOG logo patch. I think I'm going to cut the screw.

Richard

On all my Phoenix I normally rotate the clamping band to avoid any rubbing from the screw with any BC. I used to put the screw on the left side, but with the BC hose on that side I am now putting the clamping band screw on the right side.

I would never put it on the top from fear of hitting me on the back of the head.

Have fun diving

Back
Top Bottom