I give up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xSandman3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, I give up trying to find a housing for my camera. If you had $1500 to spend on a camcorder and housing, what would you get and where?

Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

You give up? Why? There are are lots of choices out there; the list of manufacturers links right here at the head of this forum is a good place to start. Things are a lot easier if you have a Sony or Canon camcorder; *everyone* seems to make housings for those. So first question is what kinda camcorder do you have or want? It pretty much dictates what kind of housings are available to you.

You could always follow the path I'm on at the moment: pick up a used miniDV camcorder (I got mine, a three year old Panasonic miniDV on eBay for less than $100...I'm assuming it's not a DOA when it gets here!) and then one of those universal-type housings (Aquatix, Equinox, Yellow Jacket) with a single mechanical control for the on/off button. If you have a Sony or Canon with a LANC input you can opt for electronic controls. Either way, it puts your camcorder underwater, which is where you want it. You go up as far as you want in complexity/price from there. And those, sir, are my two bits. :)

cheers

Billy S.

*useless further information*

Btw, I'm not saying that I decree you MUST buy miniDV or get your fingers snapped backwards like Harrison Ford's in "Blade Runner", but miniDV seems to be the hot format at the moment. Whatever format should work. However, from the reading I've done, even the universal housings impose size limits, which means you're limited to the now ubiquitous palmcorder-type sizes. (I doubt you're gonna be using an old Sylvania VHS camcorder, but some of them probably could custom make a housing for one of those too, if you're really looking to punish yourself.)

I now shut up and watch the fun continue.

cheers

Billy S.

xSandman3:
Ok, I give up trying to find a housing for my camera. If you had $1500 to spend on a camcorder and housing, what would you get and where?

Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.
What camcorder is it? I maintain the housing manufacturer's list on this forum so I might know of a housing for it. Otherwise for $1500 your options are somewhat limited, most housings start around that. There are a couple of though:

Ikelite makes a housing for the Sony DCR-HC20/30/40 MiniDV camcorders for $800. I've seen the HC20 and HC30 on the web for well under $500, the HC40 is just over $500. Imho Mini-DV is the way to go, the quality is better, the editing is cleaner and you can grab stills from your video if desired. Some of the cameras even have a still photo option, I don't know if these do or if Ikelite provides the control for it.

Ocean Images sells their Dolphin Pro housing starting at $850. But it only takes a Sony TRV series Digital 8 camcorder, so the video quality would be slightly less. Most(All?) of the Digital 8's do have a IEEE1394/Firewire port so you can transfer digitally to your computer for editing.

A similar option is the Top Dawg II or Mini housings sold by Backscatter. They're a reduced cost L&M housing that take a wide variety of camcorders - $900. Add in a Sony TRV camcorder and you're set to go.

Equinox also has some housing/camcorder packages on their website for a couple hundred over $1500. Personally I think they're a little overpriced, their HC30 deal is $1649, you can get the Ikelite housing for $800 and the camera is $440 at Circuit City.

I'm sure there's other options out there, one would be the Aquatix type tube housing and a better camera, but you would probably lose some functionality while underwater.

Steve

sjspeck:
What camcorder is it? I maintain the housing manufacturer's list on this forum so I might know of a housing for it. Otherwise for $1500 your options are somewhat limited, most housings start around that. There are a couple of though:

Ikelite makes a housing for the Sony DCR-HC20/30/40 MiniDV camcorders for $800. I've seen the HC20 and HC30 on the web for well under $500, the HC40 is just over $500. Imho Mini-DV is the way to go, the quality is better, the editing is cleaner and you can grab stills from your video if desired. Some of the cameras even have a still photo option, I don't know if these do or if Ikelite provides the control for it.

Ocean Images sells their Dolphin Pro housing starting at $850. But it only takes a Sony TRV series Digital 8 camcorder, so the video quality would be slightly less. Most(All?) of the Digital 8's do have a IEEE1394/Firewire port so you can transfer digitally to your computer for editing.

A similar option is the Top Dawg II or Mini housings sold by Backscatter. They're a reduced cost L&M housing that take a wide variety of camcorders - $900. Add in a Sony TRV camcorder and you're set to go.

Equinox also has some housing/camcorder packages on their website for a couple hundred over $1500. Personally I think they're a little overpriced, their HC30 deal is $1649, you can get the Ikelite housing for $800 and the camera is $440 at Circuit City.

I'm sure there's other options out there, one would be the Aquatix type tube housing and a better camera, but you would probably lose some functionality while underwater.

Steve
It's a JVC GR-D90. Ikelite and JVC used to make a housing for it, but both have discontinued it. I'd like a basic mini-DV with LANC and an Ikelite housing. I have looked at the Equinox for my JVC and may get it, but I like the full functionality you get with LANC.

xSandman3:
It's a JVC GR-D90. Ikelite and JVC used to make a housing for it, but both have discontinued it. I'd like a basic mini-DV with LANC and an Ikelite housing.
You get one or the other with Ikelite, since they're mechanical housings there's no provision for LANC. You'd have to go with the O/I or Top Dawg to get LANC functionality - in my mind worth it due to less instrusions into the housing. Although Ikelite does have a really good reputation.

I have looked at the Equinox for my JVC and may get it, but I like the full functionality you get with LANC.
Equinox is about the only option I'm aware of for your camera also.

Steve

xSandman3:
It's a JVC GR-D90. Ikelite and JVC used to make a housing for it, but both have discontinued it. I'd like a basic mini-DV with LANC and an Ikelite housing. I have looked at the Equinox for my JVC and may get it, but I like the full functionality you get with LANC.
How long is the camera from lens to eyepiece?
I just happen to have a housing in need of a camera - and I don't know what camera it was originally built for. If the length is right we can do some more measurements and if this housing will work, it's yours for the cost of shipping.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
How long is the camera from lens to eyepiece?
I just happen to have a housing in need of a camera - and I don't know what camera it was originally built for. If the length is right we can do some more measurements and if this housing will work, it's yours for the cost of shipping.
Rick
It's 6 1/4" long, 4" high, and 3" wide. That'd be great if it fits!

i don't know if it's kosher, but are you allowed to 'mention' that you have valid solution for sale in this forum?

meekal:
i don't know if it's kosher, but are you allowed to 'mention' that you have valid solution for sale in this forum?

As there is an actual question needing a response, you can post a link or contact so the interested party can get in touch with you/check it out. You can also PM the user with the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom