I got a new job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are obviously excited about the change, which means congratulations and best wishes are certainly in order.

Going to work for PADI IT on implementing Scuba Earth?

I enjoyed reading your post. Aside from the computer genius part I can identify with some of your educational experience. Sometimes it is more difficult to know what one should do than it is to do it.

Does your new job involve diving?

Yeah sorry.

I'm posting erratically today.

Just one thing. I'm no computer genius. Just another guy. The exciting thing about my new job is that it's similar to the old one but in a totally different context. I worked for 15 years as a project management consultant at the 2nd (I think) largest consultancy firm in the world. Got to do lots of projects and especially to do projects with big budgets.

Lynne laughs when I talk about my style because I'm ... well..... let's just say I'm little unorthodox. Unlike programming, project management is a fairly creative vocation because it's all about people and people don't act predictably some of the time.

So what I've done now is to downsize. The company I was working for was wanting to cut back because the crisis was eating up profit margins. They were about to forcefully lay some people off and I was in the finance dept and hating every minute of it. It was getting hard to go to work because for one thing I really don't like working in the finance sector. Banks and insurance companies have, as far as I'm concerned, weird business models. They try to portray themselves as financial services companies but basically their business revolves around one thing: making a bigger pile of money.

That's just weird to me. To me money is a resource and not the reason I go to my work. Also, banks in particular have products that not even the people who work there understand.... so what happens -- because people need to be able to see the sense in their work -- they start to make politics with each other. It can make even normal people act weird and trying to be the external guy in a wasps nest of pointless politics was really taking the joy out of working.

So I quit. When I heard they were downsizing I asked them to buy me out and they did. The new company is LOT smaller but very specialized in the rail sector. What a nice change to do projects that deliver things that you can see and touch! Not only that but because of the size of it I can do useful work and have an impact on forming the direction for the team for the long term as we grow. As for the business, the rail sector in Holland needs some modernization and the money is available for that. It's a sector that doesn't suffer from the crisis, it's got lots of politics to keep me going and lots of interesting projects.

R..

Sounds like you made a good move. Congratulations!

Enjoy the opportunity to learn about new technologies and think in different directions!

sounds good, rob. congrats on the new direction.

Back
Top Bottom